Other: More on Buddha

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Rev Bette Trumble

Other: More on Buddha

Post by Rev Bette Trumble »

We went to see Dr Valdez a local area vet, he works with Gainesville on special cases like Buddha.
He held Buddha and began to wince and gasp he was shocked at what he felt.
Buddha's birth defects are worse than the first vet thought.
Dr Valdez took a new set of xrays and began sharing what he found.
Buddha is deformed from the hip sockets down to his hocks.
His knee caps are on the inside of his legs not where they should be.
His hind legs bow from above and below the knee at 30 degree angles, his ankles are deformed and his feet or hocks are deformed.
He does not recommend surgery at all.
He met my lively little guy and told me that with Buddha's attitude, to just allow him to be his joyfilled playfull self.
He prescribed a safe pain killer and said let him take this until the day the pain is too great for him, about 3 maybe 5 years from now.
He said then we will fit him with wheels.
I am torn up, when I saw what the xrays showed my heart sunk.
The surgeries to correct all of this are to exstensive, and there would be no guarantee that the bones would mend. The risk of infection would be great.These surgeries would be to straighten out his legs and help his knees, which bend backwards.Along with the hip surgery.
We now have decided that with the help of pain killers to leave the surgery ideas alone.
If any of you are into prayers, please say one for the best little Boston around, Buddha,
my little monkey boy.
Rev Bette
Carol T.

Re: Other: More on Buddha

Post by Carol T. »

I'm so very sorry to hear the bad news about your little baby. I agree that will all those problems, surgery probably isn't a good idea. Having said that, though, I would investigate holistic medicine and acupuncture to try and keep him as healthy and pain-free for as long as possible. I think I would consider a cart now to minimize wear and tear on his legs and hips. I might also consider some form of hydrotherapy to give him some non-weight-bearing exercise (if your vet doesn't think that would cause additional damage). Many on here are into prayer...there's even a place on this site for prayer requests!!! I will keep you and your little fuzz ball in my prayers.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Rev. Bette, I've been where you are

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

and St.JudeMiracleDog was to be put down 5 days after I found him, because his hips were crushed.
The KINDNESS of strangers saved this boy.
Please get Buddha's story out, contact your local humanes (not your local shelters, municipal shelters cannot helpyou, they don't have the resources) and plead for their help.
I am glad of one thing, tho. He found YOU. They find us. I am convinced.
Don't give up hope. I know you are crushed. Don't give up hope, and while you have him, love his little heart out.
Prayers for you and your new baby boy.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

You know, I think I'd consider wheels now, at least for longer distances, etc. and, hopefully, fewer pain meds would be necessary. Wheels need not be expensive and can, in fact, be homemade by you, a friend, a scout troop, a "shop" class, etc. We can post this info if you're interested.
Rev Bette Trumble

Post by Rev Bette Trumble »

You bet I would be interested.
I can't help but think, I have just joined one very special group of angels.
This is an awesome group here.
Blessings and Gratitude to you all.
Rev Bette
critters
Founding Member

Cheap and homemade carts *LINK*

Post by critters »

Ginny Potterveld

Post by Ginny Potterveld »

Poor little Bhudda - such severe birth defects. He is very lucky to have you and your Mother to love him in spite of all. Yes, I believe that "more things are wrought by prayer than this world dreams of " so the three of you will be in my prayers. Give Bhudda a pat for me.
Sincerely, Ginny
connie

Post by connie »

the poor little guy. my heart goes out to him, i cried when i read your post. my prayers are with him!
give him a big hug from me please.

connie