Help Needed: Help Please

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
maryjo Anastasi

Help Needed: Help Please

Post by maryjo Anastasi »

I posted earlier about my 60 lb lab mix that suffered 2 weeks ago from a slipped disc in the neck. We could not afford the surgery but chose to bring him home because they seemed to have the pain under control with prednisone and valium. he can not use his front legs at all and can barely move his back legs. He was peeing on his own but has not since about 3:00 yesterday afternoon. I've been trying and trying to relieve his bladder but it hasn't happened. He also seems to be in more pain now than he was. I am so torn up over this I just don't know what to do. I do not want to see him suffer, but I also do not want to give up on him
Stephanie

Re: Help Needed: Help Please

Post by Stephanie »

Don't worry, help will be on the way. Expressing the bladder is scary, I know. Once you get the hang of it though. Did you vet show you the way to do it? Don't give up on your baby, it will be well worth it, once you get over this hurdle. You have come too far to turn back. Call your vet immediately. See if you can take your baby in to be expressed.

Stephanie Missy and Monty
Remembering Tama
Christy Mullady

Post by Christy Mullady »

Stephanie is absolutely right - call your vet now and maybe someone can come to your house to check him out so you don't have to transport him. Disks are painful when they apply pressure on nerves. The nerves from his neck disks affect the front legs. He may have 'blown' the disk completely, which is even more painful than a rupture/protruding disk. Keep him still and calm and call your vet - and then call antoher vet if he/she won't arrange to come to you. Let us know.......a disk can be fixed. Rest will help a small ruptured/slipped disk, but it takes a few days. Things will work out.
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Yep, it is time to call the vet. If you can't lift him, get a neighbor to come help you. Don't panic...stay calm..these set backs happen from time to time, but you really must get him to the vet. Have the vet examine him and check his pain status and have them show you how to express him.
Ok..call the vet and lets us know.
Cindi
FYI

Money for surgery

Post by FYI »

Carol T.

Post by Carol T. »

His distress may be the result of a full bladder. Your vet or a tech can express him, and they can show you how. You might also try Connie's "dab" approach. She simply dabs the end of her dog's penis with a damp cloth or baby wipe. It works for her!!!
Jane Scott

Post by Jane Scott »

I describe it like trying to get pee out of a stone! The meds Harley is on, Bethanechol helps him to release. We find that when we try to express him several hours after the dose has worn off and prior to the next dose (1x every 8 hours) that we could be squeezing til the cows came home before anything would happened. Mind you Harley is well on the way to recovery and not in such pain like your pup. Certainly sounds like he needs some relief and right away; have you spoken to the vet about cathering?
Hope this helps somewhat. Jane
connie

Post by connie »

maryjoe,
try the way i empty cricket. he is small but maybe it will work for your big boy. try putting a pad under him, then get a damp paper towel and gently rub the tip of his penis back and forth on top, see if it will make him pee. that is the way i empty cricket all the time. he didn't take to expressing, so i came up with that and it works. vet said it is getting all the urine out.
i hold mine cause he is small, but since yours is big, maybe you can do it while he is laying on his side. vet told me i must be getting a nerve to work. let me know if that works.
do call a vet as soon as possible also.

praying for you both.

hugs,

connie and cricket