Doggie wheelchairs!

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Louis Bartella

Doggie wheelchairs!

Post by Louis Bartella »

We are currently using a K9 Cart for are 11 year old Pug.The problem we are
having now is that he developed a pressure sore between his legs.It's very
hard to maintain because the back part of the cart that supports the dogs
legs are two elliptical rods covered in foam which has lost it resilence.we
are looking for a cart that will be more forgiving in this area something
more like a cloth sling.Would you suggest Doggon Wheels?There is also
another
company called Dog Mobile England that looks promising.Any help you can
provide would be greatly appreciated.He still has use of his front legs.

Jennifer

Re: Doggie wheelchairs!

Post by Jennifer »

Smokey cat used a Doggon while he was with us, it has a soft but sturdy fabric saddle that the two back legs go into and the saddle supports the bottom area , it is shaped so they can still go to the bathroom while in the cart, the saddle reminds me a bit of the old fabric baby swings only much nicer, but nothing hard at all.

all the fabric parts snap off and machine wash/tumble dry. it also has foot slings that are soft as well and hold the legs off the ground to prevent scrapes for those who have no use at all in the hind legs, they are adjustable.
Jill

Post by Jill »

Hi Louis
I am in UK and used the Dogmobile in England and found it
very satisfactory. However, we had similar problems
with my little Ellie and so we cut a `bit` out
the back of the cart and replaced it with a towelling
sling. The Dogmobile people are very helpful and I`m sure
would build you a cart to your specifications. If you look
on the gallery you`ll see a pic of Ellie in her wheels.Look on www.dogmobile.uk.com and look around the site, have a word with them, they will be able to advise you.
Re pressure sores, look back thru messages on the board and you`ll see my postings and the help I received and how I
coped with Ellie`s sores.

Kind Regards and good luck
Jill
critters
Founding Member

I've forgotten now how the harnessing system works, but

Post by critters »

users of Tail Wagons have come back with rave reviews. They are also MUCH less expensive, starting at $50.

http://www.tailwagon.com

Tail Wagon
Kim Grugan

Post by Kim Grugan »

My part pitbull/boxes 3 years old has 4 slipped disks in her back so says our vet. She is currently in desperate need of a wheelchair or some kind of device that will hold her back legs off of the ground while we take her to the bathroom etc. She needs to stay off of her back legs from 3 to 6 weeks. Do you know if there is anyone who might right something that could help or provide pricing. We are very in love with this dog but we may have to put this otherwise healthy dog down without this option because we have no money. Please provide any advise you can. P.S. This is just a freak occurance, no injury. Vet says its prone to boxers. Thank you very much.

Kim
CarolC

Not the answer you expected *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

Hi Kim,

At the end of this message I am putting a link to the Used Carts page of one of the doggie wheelchair websites. They are currently offering two carts previously owned by boxers, so this would get you a cart much cheaper than a new one, and later you could reoffer it for sale on the same website when your dog is back on his feet.

However...many people on this HandicappedPets website have had dogs with back problems who were prescribed bedrest. And yes, 3 to 6 weeks is about normal. But these people were allowed to help their dogs outside with a sling or harness. That is a lifter you put under the dog's tummy so he can walk while putting a minimum of weight on his hindquarters. You can see examples of slings and harnesses on the SLINGS and HARNESSES links on the homepage of this website. They sell a medium-sized belly harness at PetsMart in the vitamin section for about $25. You could also try using one of those canvas firewood carriers. You could also do what the vet techs do at the animal hospital and support your dog to go outdoors with a bath towel under the tummy (though a harness would be easier if you're going to be doing it for several weeks.)

Honestly, by the time you get your dog maneuvered into many styles of wheelchairs and back out again, you've jostled his back quite a bit and would have done better with a sling or harness.

Is he on steroids? Is he having to go potty pretty frequently? There was one couple on this website who had a redbone hound on steroids and bedrest. The dog was having to go outdoors to urinate about once an hour at first and the wife had a pre-existing back condition so they double-teamed him as often as possible. It got easier as soon as the dosage of the steroids was decreased and he didn't need to urinate so frequently. :)

One other option is to potty him indoors. You can get human incontinent pads (like puppy training pads) at Walgreen's, 40 for $7.99. A package of baby wipes might come in handy too, to keep his skin clean. You just put an incontinent pad under him to protect his bedding. Then you can let him wet the pad and give him a fresh one if he's going really frequently, and you only have to assist him out to the yard a couple of times a day to do his other business. Less strain on both of you.

Hope you'll post an update on how it's going.

CLICK HERE - Used carts for boxers
Serrena

Post by Serrena »

Hi Jill,
We just got a "seated"' dogmobile cart and would really like to make a similar modification. Would it be possible for you to post a picture of your modification, please??

Thank you
Serrena

[quote="Jill"]Hi Louis
I am in UK and used the Dogmobile in England and found it
very satisfactory. However, we had similar problems
with my little Ellie and so we cut a `bit` out
the back of the cart and replaced it with a towelling
sling. The Dogmobile people are very helpful and I`m sure
would build you a cart to your specifications. If you look
on the gallery you`ll see a pic of Ellie in her wheels.Look on http://www.dogmobile.uk.com and look around the site, have a word with them, they will be able to advise you.
Re pressure sores, look back thru messages on the board and you`ll see my postings and the help I received and how I
coped with Ellie`s sores.

Kind Regards and good luck
Jill[/quote]