Problems expressing corgi bladder

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Problems expressing corgi bladder

Post by Bobbie »

My corgi has trouble urinating due to partial hind end paralysis. As this only occurred recently (due to a spinal tumor; we are awaiting biopsy results) I have not mastered the art of expressing her bladder. Being a typical corgi, she hates it and cusses me out while I do it. I can get some urine but I'm sure, based on how much water she is drinking, that I don't get it all. Any hints?
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: Problems expressing corgi bladder

Post by Bobbie »

I had more success tonight but I'd still appreciate any hints. The vet showed me how but he had some trouble, too, and the tech couldn't do it, so I don't know if it is corgi anatomy or my particular dog's stubborness. She does have a bowel movement first, usually without assistance except for holding her up.
critters
Founding Member

Others can probably help, but,

Post by critters »

in the meantime, check out http://abledogs.net (might be www). The email list is VERY active, and most of the members do or have had to express.

Abledogs
Jill

Post by Jill »

Hi

I nursed my little Dachshund with a ruptured disc and I expressed her bladder about 4 times daily. It seems difficult at first but keep trying and you`ll get the hang of it. Try with her back end to you, feel for the bladder
(get vet to show you again ) squeeze gently , encouraging
her water out rather than up ( if you know what I mean )You will feel the bladder reducing in size until it is empty.Squeeze with your right hand and hold her back end
with your left hand to steady her and make her feel secure.

Distract her with a toy to chew while you do it or better
still, if you have someone there to hold her front end and talk to her is much better !!
Another way is lie her on her left side. Put one hand underneath her bladder and the other on top and squeeze
gently, using both hands. This is quite a good way , if she will lie still.........!!!!!!! or stillish !
Empty her into a nappy that can be disposed of in a nappy baggy......and there you are !
Keep going, don`t give up. I had many , many tears while
I tried to cope at first then all of a sudden.....you find you can just do it and you wonder how you found it difficult in the first place.
Lots of love and good luck.
Jill and Lace, Topsy and Rosie.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Thanks, everyone

Post by Bobbie »

I'm getting the hang of it. She has such a round little body it is hard to know which is the bladder except that when I squeeze the right thing it empties. No word on the biopsy yet and the new problem is that the post-surgery antibiotics are making her stools loose, but I think she'll be done with antibiotics tomorrow. Should I empty her bladder about as often as she used to do it? (usually three times a day: before breakfast and dinner, and at bedtime.)

Bobbie
Murphy's Dad

Post by Murphy's Dad »

Expressing a dog's bladder is a VERY difficult thing. It took me several months to get it right. I have the luxury of Murphy being able to stand.

Try this: (dog standing or lying down, it doesn't matter)
With one had one either side of your Corgi, gently feel for the bladder. Both hands should be mid belly, low and just in front of her hind legs. Closing you eyes may help. It should feel like a firm ball. Murphy's (a beagle) is about the size of an orange. Hers is probably be smaller than a tennis ball. Once you find it. Cup it with one hand, and gently and firmly press in and down with the other. Take care not to press too hard (she will yelp) and try to keep it between your hands. If her bladder slips out, give it about 10-15 minutes to settle back into place and try again.

Try this for practice. With your palms together, take both your hands and place them on your cheeks. Puff up your cheeks and with one hand, push out the air. Feel how one cheek moves when the other is pressed on. Keep this on mind when trying to control the location of her bladder (it WILL move).

One last option that may help during this learning period is to have your vet teach you how to properly cathaterize her. Believe me, it is alot less traumatic than learning how to express a bladder (for both of you). It can be used for long periods of time with only minor risk of infection. Be sure to memorize how to do it completely sterile. I did this with Murphy for quite some time.

Good luck and contact me if you have questions.
Murphy's Dad

visit Murphy's World - One Special Beagle
Jill

Re: Thanks, everyone

Post by Jill »

Hi Bobbie

Yes, that would be Ok.......told you you`d soon be a dab
hand at it........well done !

Luv Jill