IVD Invertable Disc Disease

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Tracey

IVD Invertable Disc Disease

Post by Tracey »

MY beloved Barney a 54 pound beagle mix lost the use of his back two legs one week ago tomm. I noticed he was not himself that morning and later in the evening he walked like he was drunk. By the time I got him to the hospital he had lost all use of his back two legs. The doctor performed surgery immed. and said that Barney had a 90 percent chance of fully recovering because he never lost "deep pain". Well today he looks much better but still can not walk at all on his hind legs. My question is, has anyone had a simliar situation? I am very worried that he will not walk again and it kills me to see him pee on himself every day. Sometimes I wonder if I did the right thing. He is my special guy and I love him very much but I never want him to suffer.
critters
Founding Member

Many people here have been there.

Post by critters »

It takes time, but there is usually significant improvement. Some do better with poop/pee after they're on wheels, but I'd wait to see how much natural improvement comes first. While you're waiting for more responses, check out abledogs (abledogs.net). They have a VERY active email list, and almost all of the members have been where you are.

Good luck!