calici viruses..and ulcers on tongues etc.

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Jan

calici viruses..and ulcers on tongues etc.

Post by Jan »

A vet gave me a great tip a few years ago about using Albon liquid (for coccidea) for kittens with ulcers in their mouths. A few drops of albon a few times a day, and the antibiotic properties of the albon heal ulcers fast! Plus it sticks to the sore spots. I tried it on a baby a few years back who had a tongue that was 3/4ths ulcerated, and within a few days she started eating again.Luckily I haven't been hit with any calici viruses in a while, but thought I'd pass along the info!
critters
Founding Member

Thanks!! I'd forgotten about that. nm

Post by critters »

nm
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Re: calici viruses..and ulcers on tongues etc.

Post by Bendy Kitty »

we're havin ga #### of a time with limping calici here.
The kittens are all on Albon, since they also have coccidea.
Mom was told another trick, which is to squish up Pepcid, make a paste, adn put that on the ulcer. Makes sense cuz it is an ant-acid.
Maybe she'll also put a dab of Albon on the ulcer, too. Kix's tongue is about 1/3 ulcer, poor kid.

The blisters in Wheatie's mouth seem to have gone away. Cherrio has a small ulcer on his palette.

they are getting better, slowly..

Bendy Kitty
Debbie-Spain

Post by Debbie-Spain »

That's useful, we haven't had any calici v. this year but we had a few last year, with very nasty ulcers.

We used to use the Spanish version of Albon for coccidiosis, but now we are using Appertex (Clazuril)which is actually for birds, mainly pigeons. One of my cats, Houdini (the Great Escape Artist), was in a very bad way when we found her because of coccidea. The problem was the Albon made her foam at the mouth and if we used tablets the doses were really tiny and had to be given for a long period of time and she was pretty antisocial back then. You only have to give Appertex once, then again after 3/4 days if I remember rightly, and it did the trick, her tests afterwards came back negative. Haven't seen any side effects either (she is 14 months old now). My vet checked up on it with the Veterinary Association here and they said it was ok for use in cats.
Maybe you already use it in the US too, but thought I would mention it...

Debbie

Debbie-Spain

Re: that would make life so much simpler

Post by Debbie-Spain »

OK, I'll try and find out the doses cos I can't remember. The medicine itself only tells you the doses for birds, but the good thing is that cos pigeons don't weigh very much, you don't find yourself having to break a tablet into 20 pieces for a kitten!
Will find out tomorrow at the vets (they checked it out with the Veterinary Association here) and let you know.

Debbie
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

that would make life so much simpler

Post by Bendy Kitty »

we hate coccidea!!
it was a combination of that and the Limping calici that killed poor LuckyCharm last week :(

bendy kitty
critters
Founding Member

Never heard of that, but

Post by critters »

I did come across something called Baycox, also a former bird med for coccidia. Your stuff sounds MOST covenient!! Thanks for the info.
Alisa G

Post by Alisa G »

No experience with calci.
My FIV+ boy just came down with mouth sores =(. They seem very painfull. There is a link to Tallyville on Trixie's Page that has some info on Calci and mouth sores. It is under Boots' Story......

Trixie's Page
Debbie-Spain

Re: Appertex (Clazuril) for coccidea

Post by Debbie-Spain »

About Appertex (Clazuril), I'm pretty sure the tablets are 2.5 mg and the dose is 5mg per kilogram. I have been looking on the Internet again to see if I can find out about its use in cats and can find nothing!

I did find a post that said that European vets are using it for other animals apart from pigeons, but they were talking about chameleons. They said sulfas (Albon) can cause liver damage and for that reason Appertex was safer and for some vets it was now preferred treatment. They also said it is cocciodiostatic rather than cocciodcidal (paralyses the activity of the coccidea rather than kills them) but that this gives the animal's immune system time to catch up and fight off the infection.

I do know that my own vets, who are fairly cautious, checked up first with the area Veterinary College Association here before starting to use it as I had heard about it from another vet and passed them the info. They told me they had been given the OK to use it and I now see that they have a supply of it and are prescribing it (they previously prescribed Septrin, which is our version of Albon as far as I can tell).

Perhaps somebody in the US could get their vet to look into it? It really is much easier to administer, but I wouldn't like to recommend anything without getting the OK from a vet there.

Debbie

sillyg

Post by sillyg »

Re Baycox: DO NOT USE the pigeon formulation!!! It will burn mucus membranes without proper dilution because it's meant to be cut in water. ONLY USe THE PIGLET formulation available without prescription from Austrailia and Canada. Definitely do your research first!!!!!