I need info & help!

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

I need info & help!

Post by Bendy Kitty »

I"m told that this semi warm, constantly damp weather we've been having for forever is the reason we're seeing so many URIs & other infections....

Does anyone remember Simon, I thougth of him when I saw Uno.
Simon was a little kitten with horribly infected eyes, I still see the pict as plain as day. It is one of the more horrible picts I've seen. I don't remember what part of the country he was in. Despite surgery & lots of tlc, Simon didn't make it.

I was told there was a kitten at teh shelter with a bulging eye.
Their spay/neuter clinic vet (it is ALL the clinic does but soemtimes they will do some basic treatments for free) Said it is infected & ulcerated.
It is a huge, a giant bubble protruding from his eye socket. they sent him home on amoxicillin.

I am quite sure that removing the eye would be the best thing for this poor baby. I also know that the infection is going to need more than just amoxi!

On his first day there he paniced and bit someone seriously, so he is on 10 day quarantine.
However, he is a sweet loving little guy and lets everyone carry him and rubs on them.

So this is what I'm thinking:

See if eye removal is something my regular surgeon-vet does (figures they aren't open on monday for me to ask!)
see how much it costs (I'm guessing a few hundred).
see about getting donatinos for the little guy.

My vet has been letting me pay him in bits and pieces (smoochies to my vet) and I'm thinking that they might allow people to send them checks for Uno as long as the envelope/check said "UNO FUND" on it.

Please crosspost this anywhere you can, with my e-mail addy of course!

thanks!!!!

Bendy
Jan

Re: I need info & help!

Post by Jan »

I remember Simon who was a gorgeous Siamese kitten. He died from panleukopenia if I recall. It sounds to me like the kitten needs to have the eye enucleated ASAP. If it ruptures, the baby will be in more agony than he is already. I have had a few kitties who went through similar eye problems, and ulcer mix from a local vet helped some, but once the eye starts bulging, forget it.
Debbie-Spain

Post by Debbie-Spain »

We had a kitten last year whose eye was very bad and her cornea appeared to be peforated. We had to treat her for a month with Aureomycin in preparation for the operation, to see whether they could repair it or would have to remove the eye. After the month on Aureomycin her eye had healed completely. She didn't need any operation in the end. She is now adopted and very occasionally needs eye drops for that eye, but generally she is fine.

However, her eye was very bad but not bulging, so I would tend to agree with what Jan says.

Would IMOM help with something like this? Not sure exactly what their criteria are...

Debbie
critters
Founding Member

I would NOT take the eye without doing a 3rd eyelid flap

Post by critters »

first. Spunk's eyes ruptured twice before they'd do it, but Dr. B. just packed everything back in and did the flap. She wouldn't have survived enucleation, so it was an attempt to buy time. As it turned out, she still (3 years later) has both eyes, although they're badly scarred. It also happens to be a cheap fix that has saved Purrz as well.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Debbie_Spain posted more info below on Appertex, the new coccidia drug, in case you missed it.
critters
Founding Member

The gallery isn't working, so I can't post Spunk's pic nm

Post by critters »

nm