what to expect when your dog is going to have an amputation

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
Melica

Amputation and whining

Post by Melica »

My 9 year old German Shepard/Rottweiler mix, Cassidy, had her left front leg amputated on Tuesday, 2 days ago, and has been whining for the last 12+ hours. I've given her Buprenex, Tramadol and Metacam and the vet said with all of that he doesn't think she's in pain, so I'm wondering if it's from the surgery or the emotional/physical change. I don't want her to hurt, but I don't know if I need to take her in to the vet or just wait and see how the rest of today goes.
She had a tumor in her shoulder and it ate everything around it. We don't have the results back from the biopsy, so I don't know if she has cancer anywhere else.
This is the hardest thing I've ever been through and I hate so much watching her hurt or be scared. What can I do to calm her? Should I sleep near her? Should I leave her alone while I go to Thanksgiving dinner or should I not leave her alone for a while.
Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Happy Thanksgiving!
tessa

Post by tessa »

melica...
hello...and i'm sorry to meet you under these circumstances.
my strong suspicion is that the whining is a drug-hangover from the anesthetic. my girl, xena, whined every time they knocked her out...whether it was for the surgery, or for xrays. it's so distressing to listen to it....I KNOW. if you visit xena's blog at the link below...you'll see what we went through with the post-anesthetic dramas.
i wouldn't worry too much that it's pain she's crying from. she's most likely actually experiencing some pain relief if the cancer was in the bone. is she still on pain meds??

i'm probably answering too late about whether to leave her alone while you go to thanksgiving dinner. she'll probably be fine...but my own personal opinion is that she'll need emotional companionship over the next while...i'd say until the stitches are out, in about 10 day's time....i think it would be good to stick close to her but realize that we can't always be there all the time.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

There are ways to give comfort

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

that pups LOVE. And yes, sleeping next to them is a great one.
On 'camp out' night, I drag blankets and pillows to the LR floor, pop in a movie, make some popcorn and am covered in pups. They LOVE it when I get on the floor at any time, and when I sleep there, we all cuddle in what I call "Heaven"
Sing songs, with Cassidy's name in it, every other word, a silly happy make up song. That will get a tail wag, I feel certain.
I too believe there are drug hangovers. In humans, it used to could take 6 months for the general anesthesia to completely leave the body. There are side-effects that leave you feeling sick and ick.
How is Cassidy doing today? How are you doing? :fireworks:
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:group: Melica!

I'd give her lots of time and love--sleeping is an easy way. When Buddy first came in, his love bucket was so leaky he tried to crawl up my nose! :shock: :D He practically lived in my armpit for awhile, then he started to get more independent when he felt better psychologically.
honey'smummy

Post by honey'smummy »

:rainbow:
Hiya Melica.
When Honey came home she kept whinning and like you I thought omg she must be in pain so I told the Vet and she confirmed that it was just the drugs...so don't worry it is a common thing.
Sleeping with them....now that is something lol. Nearly 6 weeks on I am still sleeping on the living room floor with Honey...we fight for the duvet..lol :lol: She loves it and so long as she is happy I am.
Lots of love,care and attention and you can't go wrong.
Love to you and the little one......Sue and of course Hun xx :wub:
What do they call a dog with three legs? ....Special..very,very SPECIAL!!

honey'smummy

Post by honey'smummy »

Hi Melica.
Haven't heard from you for a while...how is Cassidy?
Hope all is well!
Sue x :wub:

Donna

Post by Donna »

It is six days from surgery, how is Cassidy doing? I came to the forum tonight cause it is one year today that my Luke had his left frt leg amputated. What a fast year with no major problems. I took him to the vet last week for a six month check. She said I should start thinking about a joint suppliment. I have a good idea what I want him to take, but could use some advise cause the stuff can be expensive. The doc also said the muscles on his rear legs are a little bit atrophyed at the back of the legs. Any advise there also. I do walk him, but not too far cause of the jarring to his front leg. Is there anything else I should look for at one year. He is six now. Any advise will be appreciated.

Donna and Luke
honey'smummy

Post by honey'smummy »

Hi Donna.
I use a product called Flexi-Joints. It is made up of Glucosamine, Chondroitin and Ester-C. It is a VetVits product....developed by Vets.They are quite reasonably priced.You can order by phone...Freephone orderline is ...... 0808 100 40 80. Or you can order online at ...www.vetvits.co.uk. or fax on 01481 713 790.
I do live in England so I hope you can get them.
Hope this helps! Sue x :wub:

tessa

Post by tessa »

donna...
has it been a year already????
where does the time go?

are you using fish oil at all? i know it seems a small thing, but it's actually quite a big thing!