Today is McDuff's One Year Anniversary of Amputation

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
trishny

Today is McDuff's One Year Anniversary of Amputation

Post by trishny »

When we heard the news that our beautiful, big McDuff (a 180lb. Saint Bernard) had to have his hind leg amputated due to bone cancer, we were absolutely devestated.

So I searched the net and found this site and found the the most compassionate, understanding people in the world!.

They told us we would be amazed at how he would do after the amputation. And, you know what?! We are AMAZED, and all the people who meet McDuff are amazed (and there's alot of people -- we own a B&B --bythebluff.com- McDuff and his sister are pictured).

Most people don't even notice he has three legs. I hate to keep using the word "amazing", but it is.

He runs, plays, and goes down stairs. He can't get UP stairs, but he goes around the house to get up to other floor.

He's happy, energetic, and we think he was just so happy to get rid of that big, painful leg.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: Today is McDuff's One Year Anniversary of Amputation

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Wow, I can't beleive it's been a year!

Your McDuff is such a poster boy for success, you should make sure to let everyone in town know about him. You should get the local paper to do a story. The more people understand how this is possible, especially for such a BIG dog, the more will opt for surgery over the alternative.

I am so proud of your boy! :wub:
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
luvmytripod

Post by luvmytripod »

it's been a year already? Wow, time flies! Yay, McDuff!! :trophy:
trishny

Post by trishny »

You guys remember! very heartwarming. Yes, one year.

I post his weight just cause I want others who are facing this to know that even with all this weight on two front legs and ONE hind leg, he runs like the wind, plays all day long.
Harvey'sMom

Post by Harvey'sMom »

Go McDuff, You Go!! :trophy:
SandyNY

Post by SandyNY »

OMG! I would have guessed 1/2 year since his beautiful mug was posted!
What a smart boy to figure out how to get back unpstairs! and what a true advocate for the amputees of the world - to not even have his handicapped readily noticed; that is awesome! Because some day somewhere someone will be faced with a devastating situation and told to put thier pet down and they will suddenly remember that lovely McDuff and his family and how he and the other dog where so similar in ability that they didn't even know at first that HE was missing a leg---and if he can do it, maybe my dog can too. :trophy:
Give him a headbonk from allof us.
tessa

Post by tessa »

where does the time go?????

well done, mcduff! :trophy:
trishny

Post by trishny »

You guys gave me goosebumps. Thank you all so much. I'm going to try to post a picture of the big guy. If this doesn't work, I'll try again.
trishny

Post by trishny »

Oh, boy, it worked.

For all of you who are going through this devestating news of amputation, you will be sooooo pleasantly surprised. We were all so, so sad right after the amputation - me, my dh (who is McDuff's hero and mine, by the way) and his "little" sister, Daisy Girl.

But, talk about what a year can do! When people first meet him, they are just taken by his size and his sweetness. Then, when they see his has three legs, they feel so bad. But, I PROUDLY chime in and tell them how lucky he is and how he runs, and plays and goes down stairs (OH!! last week he ran up the stairs -- three times!).

Now, tell me -- how does a dog with three legs go UP stairs?

He is -- and here is that word again - AMAZING!
trishny

Post by trishny »

One more pic

trishny

Post by trishny »

Crystal, I just read your blog -- I have no words to describe what I saw.
Donna

Post by Donna »

you go big guy

I have not posted in so long, so this news is so great. I thought about your boy many times and how he would do being so large. He looks wonderful and nice and thin just like you want. It is almost two years for my boy, and going strong. Our beloved dogs with three legs are examples of perseverance to us all.
trishny

Post by trishny »

Hi Donna, I know, I haven't been here in awhile either. I'm sooooo happy to hear that your baby is okay.
Duff had carcinosarcoma, not osteosarcoma. Did your's have what Duff had?

He was so, so lucky. We couldn't bear losing him. I think Dh would have lost it. This McDuff is a beautiful, huge, sweet, 4 year old who watches Animal Planet.

We have alot of guests who come here (we own a B&B) just to see the saints. So after they have met them and are smitten, I tell them to "watch this". I turn the channell to Animal Planet, and Duff goes right up to the tv and watches, and then he will sit down, still watching, with his nose about an inch from the tv.

It is the funniest thing!!!
luvmytripod

Post by luvmytripod »

trishny wrote:Crystal, I just read your blog -- I have no words to describe what I saw.
Do you mean the cuteness of Jaida's new sister? :mrgreen: (Or the cuteness of Jaida, she's pretty spectacularly cute too! :wub: )
trishny

Post by trishny »

OH my gosh!!!! both, both of them. Jaida AND her new sister. I got goosebumps looking at the pictures and reading.
Very, very nice.
Trish