boxer lost his leg today

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
Caroline

Re: boxer lost his leg today

Post by Caroline »

Hi again,

I am so sorry to hear about Diesel not doing so well.
I had alot of trouble with Busters meds, the tramodole can make them depressed.
As far as him not getting along with the other dogs, sometimes when one is getting alot of attention they tend to get protective
of the people taking care of them. Try to show Diesel that you are all one pack; with you being the leader.
Buster is down right mean to all vets now.
At his lowest he went from 98 pounds down to 77 in less than 6 weeks.
Boxers are very active and muscular, he too would not eat or move for that matter , I had to turn him every 4 hours for a week.
The chances are high that Diesle will drop a few pounds before he gains strength again.
Boxers can be ultra sensitive to some meds that would not effect anther dog.
I am not sure if you mixed a soft diet ( Hamberger and rice boiled) in with his dry yet.
His personality will come back.
Hang in there and Keep the faith

Happiness is a warm puppy.
Charles M. Schulz
kristiqhall

Post by kristiqhall »

Diesel has gone to spend the night with my sister inlaw WHO is our vet..so she can see what he is doing and will go to work with her today so they can mabe do some blood work. so hopefully there will be some answers!!!

ill repost tonight when i get him back!
Kristi
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

kristiqhall wrote:Diesel has gone to spend the night with my sister inlaw WHO is our vet
:wow: Ooooo, lucky you!!!
Smokeypeil

Post by Smokeypeil »

I agree with the taking a break thing, it's been 13 days of worry and stress for me. I have my adult daughter here for the next 4 days to help out. Last night was another rought night for Smokey. What do they have him on still? Smokey got his duragesic patch off and is only on Tramadol and Metacam and an occasional Vicodin.

I'm with you Kristi and can totally understand. Smokey just isn't himself anymore as well. I hope it's just a phase.
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

I had a thought about Diesle not getting alone with the other dogs, maybe it is because he is in pain.
In turn this may make him think ,about playing with the other dogs like he used to knowing that it would hurt.
So he makes them stay away out of pure self protection.

Just a thought.

Rambunctions, rumbustious, delinquent dogs become angelic when sitting.
DR. Ian Dunbar :snoopy:
tessa

Post by tessa »

kristi...i'm sorry i've been away from the boards for a few days...and terrible to read you're having trouble.
i agree...i think the not getting along with the other dogs is probably pain related.
so glad your sister in law is the vet and diesel can go there for assessment.
please let us know what's happening.
it does sound out of the ordinary. i'm wondering if something else, unrelated, might be going on? any of the other amputee mums and dogs who've encountered problems have seemed to encounter them straight away. not ten days later.

i'm sending you big cyber healing energy.
Smokeypeil

Post by Smokeypeil »

Like Tessa said, Smokey and the other pets were instantly not getting along when I brought him home from the vets, it is strange that it happened 10 days later.
tessa

Post by tessa »

where are you kristi? please check in. how's diesel?
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

Hi,
I sure hope you and Diesel are doing well.
kristiqhall

Post by kristiqhall »

its been awhile!!! Diesel is doing great, it has not slowed himdown at all but he does have a different attitude hes not very playfull anymore with other dogs but other than that he is great how have yall been? hope everyones babies are good!! sorry i have been away so long!
Smokeypeil

Post by Smokeypeil »

Hi hi hi Kristi and Diesel,
Glad to hear all is well, I know how we get caught up when they are well again. Smokey is doing great, wouldn't know that he wasn't born like that. The only time you can tell that he has a leg missing is when he walks. He flat out runs as fast or even faster than he used to. Still working on the swimming. Hope you are doing well too.
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

So glad to hear that you guys are doing so well!!
You and your smokeypeil too!!!
Harvey'sMom

Post by Harvey'sMom »

Kristi.. I am happy to hear Diesel is doing good now. Where are you located in Texas? I'm in Rockwall, just east of Dallas...

Keep us posted on the boy!!!

Paula, Harvey's Mom
bc12

Post by bc12 »

How is he doing? Did you ever buy him a dog life jacket? Hope he is doing well... :P