Recent amputation

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
josjosjam

Recent amputation

Post by josjosjam »

My two year old border collie was hit by a car and had her front right leg amputated about ten days ago. She has started having muscle twitches in the shoulder and they pull her should back. It bothers her, but she has not yelped. Does anyone have experience with this? I worry about her so much and wish I could make her feel better.

Melissa
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:stream: This might sound stupid, but are you sure they're muscle spasms? Is there any possibility they could be phantom pains, AKA zaps? If they're muscle spasms, they'll probably pass, but maybe you could massage the area in the meantime.
Bella

Post by Bella »

Sorry to hear about your Collie. Could it be that the site is healing and the stitches or staples are pulling causing her to twitch? Sounds like you are through the worst of it...hang in there, she will be up and back to her new "normal" in no time. Take care, Erin.
josjosjam

Thanks

Post by josjosjam »

Thank you for your comments. I took her for a recheck and they were happy with her progress. They removed the stitches. Thank you for the massage suggest. I have been doing that. She also is very relaxed when I play piano, so I've been doing a lot more of it lately. :)
Thank you for this site and your kind words.
Blessings,
Melissa
Dianne

Music Therapy for pets

Post by Dianne »

Oh Melissa, You're my kind of people. I play piano for my paralyzed doxie. I stopped playing when he first became paralyzed; when I restarted playing he ran (on 2 legs) to the piano and began howling in joy. Music Therapy for pets!

Dianne
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Hi Melissa,

Welcome to the board. What is your BC's name?

Rhys' left hind leg was amputated in April. The remaining upper thigh twitches occasionally. At first Rhys was bothered by the sensation but he has never whined or whimpered during the spasm so I don't think it’s painful.