Tomorrow is the big day

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
Guster's Mom

Tomorrow is the big day

Post by Guster's Mom »

We adopted Guster 2 months ago, he was a rescued stray discovered with a serious back left paw injury. We will never know for sure but our vet believes he stepped on a metal trap and his previous owner let him go to avoid expenses. Their lose our gain, regardless tomorrow is his amputation. We live in Minnesota and I'm concerned how the cold will affect his healing? Will he want to go outside to use the bathroom? Will he be able to? How long will he wear the protective thing around his neck? Yes, I'm sure my vet could answer all these questions tomorrow but I'm reaching out to people who love a dog who has been through this. Hope to hear from someone soon.
Guster's Mom
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

I have never met a dog who willingly wears the

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

'e- collar' - the elizabethan surgical collar. It messes with their audio big time. There is a no bite surgical collar available on the right side of this main baord.
Wrap his wound with non-stick gauze (the vet should show you all of this) and then surgical tape.
He will chew it off, so you want to look at non-toxic spray that will inhibit this. I like a good dose of pure lemon, although a dog's nasal capacity is huge and you don't want to offend him.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:rainbow: Personally, I don't use "lampshades" unless I have to because they're such a nuisance to both parent and critter. Taking one home, just in case, is certainly a good idea.

Once he gets over the pain meds, anesthesia, etc. he'll be just the same as he always was, just noisier. :mrgreen: Tripods make big thumps when they run. He might not want to go out in the cold at first; I can't say, although I wouldn't blame him!! I'm very grateful that the 2 months I spent in MN in 1993 seemed to be a "moderate" or maybe even "warm" winter by y'all's standards! :shock:

Tripods are almost always fine in the end; I consider them disfigured, not disabled.
miloshko

Post by miloshko »

Hi Guster's mom,
The first few days (maybe up to 5 days), Guster will be constipated.
Regular floors (tile, hardwood) are slippery for them, so just imagine how bad ice would be. So as long as he does not have to walk on ice (if that is ever an issue, I've never been in MN), he WILL be fine.
It took a couple of weeks for Milo to lift his leg to pee (he lost his front leg, though), but he learned to lean on the trees to do so.
Please keep us posted.
Good luck!
Karla
honey'smummy

Post by honey'smummy »

Hi Guster's Mum.
As previously mentioned avoid slippy floors...use mats.I never used a 'lampshade' on Honey there was never a need to.If the weather is bad..icy.then use a waterproof sheet covered with lots of towels so that it may be used as an indoor toilet so to speak...we did this for 5/6 weeks, as Honey was very immobile due to her other operation as well as the amputation.You will be surprised how quickly they adapt to their amputation. I agree with Critters that these pets are disfigured not disabled...they are just as able as those with 4 legs.
Good luck for tomorrow.Sue and Honey :wub:
What do they call a dog with three legs? ....Special..very,very SPECIAL!!