arthritis in good leg

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
Donna

arthritis in good leg

Post by Donna »

Hi
It has been two years now since Luke my aussie lost his left front leg. He has done real well till today. He didn't want to move this morning and did not eat breakfast. I called my vet and they fit me in this morning. After a lot of manipulation, the vet says he has arthritis in his knee and carpel joints. I give him joint suppliments and am going to start fish oil. The vet told me to give him aspirin twice a day and restrict his movement. He won't even get up and again did not eat his supper. We played ball in the family room last night and I wonder if what ever is happening in his leg was aggravated. He was OK at 2:00 am and a mess a 6:00 am. Has anyone had this happen very fast like this? I just hope he gets better soon, I miss him behind me on the floor in the computer room. I hope that it is nothing else happening, like cancer coming back!!! He is 7 yo now, still young and he weights 55 lbs.

Donna
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: arthritis in good leg

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Aussies are very active (whether or not their bodies agree with it, their minds say they are) and did he injure himself somehow? Would it be possible that an aggravation kicked in the arhtritis? Your journey to a comfort level won't be overnight, but you should see some improvements. Metacam gave little Possum HUGE relief when she found herself unable to rise from a lay down in the last couple of weeks. She suffered fho blunt force trauma injury and kept spinning on her bad hips. She was in so much pain she could not rise. And after a week of doggie asperin and metacam, she was able to rise up again and spin some more. I am now dosing my old guy with only one good leg with the metacam, as he is having trouble walking at all.

Let me make a couple suggestions, which you should run by your doc. 1) Do you have a pool, or an ocean nearby? Will give her some non-stress exercise. 2) Massage on the injured limb. Soft, firm and gentle at first and as he adapts, firmer, and deeper tissue, to get the nerves, bloodflow, and muscles responding. 3) Bicycle gently at first of injured limb to keep it from atrophying (which Possum's did). 4) Keep him from making any sudden anything. 5) Supplements as you are dosing. 6) ask doc about condroiton, glucosamine & shark cartilege. I know a LOT of folks use condroiton and glucosmine, but not sure about the shark cartilege. Must be something that won't irritate his digestive system.

Let us know how your boy is doing. I am so sorry he and you are going through this! He NEEDS that leg!

The front legs carry 60-80% of body weight, depending on who you talk to, so I always suggest doggie be kept trim and lean.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Donna

Post by Donna »

Hi
we had to take him back in to the vet the next day, he was not doing well at all. it seem the arthritis diagnosis was incorrect. he has cancer again, a tumor in his chest. it bled into his chest cavity and we thought we were going to loose him. after a few days he started to eat and became very active again. it is a matter of time, barring a miracle that believe me i have been praying for. this will happen again or he could have a really big bleed and pass away. he is only seven and i thought we were doing well two years after the amputation. i am totally devastated that i may loose him. he is the love of my life, the dog of my dreams perfect in all ways. i love him with every ounce of my energy and thank God for every day i have with him. please pray for him and me and my husband.

thanks
donna

Ahh, geez! I am so sorry for your Dx. What stunning news. I know exactly how you feel, and whatever tomorrow holds, MAKE THE MOST OF TODAY, of every moment you have.
Your boy is the luckiest boy in the world to have your love. We are right here beside you in your journey.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
luvmytripod

Post by luvmytripod »

I'm so sorry you and your family have received such heartbreaking news. My thoughts are with you.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Did they do any testing such as an MRI to see how involved the tumor is? If it is well defined and not invading anything crucial, maybe they could remove it? It is a major surgery but he is young. Did they do any testing to see what kind of tumor it is, rather than just assuming? I don't know that much about this but I think in some cases they can analyze the fluid they draw off--did they send it off to a lab? Did you discuss chemo to slow it, or could they do radiation to shrink it? Can you get a referral to a veterinary oncologist?
Donna

Post by Donna »

Hello

The tumor in Luke's chest is on his spleen. They are suspecting hemangiosarcoma, his father, aunt and some other relatives died of this same cancer. My vet said if we want to do surgery she is willing, but didn't push it. There is some kidney involvement also. Blood tests were performed and x-rays showing the tumor. We decided right then and there that surgery was out. The vet said he could bleed to death on the table or not do well after surgery. I need him with us for as long as possible. It has been three weeks now since the diagnosis. To see him outwardly you would not know anything is wrong. If God does not heal him, I hope He takes him quickly. His dad dropped over and died after playing in the yard. Luke's breeder is very sad because if it would have been known that this cancer ran in the family she would not have breed his dad. Thankfully she only breed a few litters and many of the dogs are living long, happy lives. Luke's mom is still alive at 13. Luke is so close to me and knows I am sad. He just comes and drapes himself over me and cuddles up. He is such a love bug. My husband and I love him beyond words. Life sure drops some real heavy bombs on us at times, but we can't let them take us out.

Donna

Oh, the journey love takes us on. It is a journey that is the HARDEST in the world, but also the BEST. I celebrate with you the love you, your husband and Luke share. Those precious moments just SHINE and we grab hold of them, because that is what life is about, LOVE. Luke has taught you about dealing with impossible situations with love and grace and love and patience and love and acceptance and love and ability and love.
The love you and your husband have for Luke is meaningful beyond words. The most beautiful emotion in the world, and I am here to tell you, your Luke is the LUCKIEST pup in the world to have you! He is so very lucky to be encircled with this devotion, this ... well I can't find words.
My heart is with you on this journey, and we know it is inevitable we will hurt someday, but we LOVE anyway. They bring out the best in us, don't they? Luke changed your life in ways you never imagined. Grab today, don't worry about tomorrow, it'll wait.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!