Tripod lameness

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
Evie

Tripod lameness

Post by Evie »

Hi,

I've a nearly 3 yr old whippet x who had a front leg removed about two years ago due to injury. She has coped great on three legs since.

However this last number of days she has been stiff and lame on (I think) her remaining front leg. Checking it over I can see no injury, swelling, heat on any of her limbs. She lets me handle them all without complaint; but having said that she is very obliging with regard to me handling any previous injurys/wounds etc.

She is slow to come downstairs, I now carry her down. When out walking she goes "down" in front every few strides. I've rested her now for a few days and it has slightly improved, but still not fit to be out walking again. I'm taking her to the vets in the next few days for sure. Just wanted to see if anyone on here had any thoughts or suggestions on how to deal with this and detecting lameness problems in tripod dogs.

I had thought this might have resulted in perhaps pulling a muscle or similar free running last week, though she was fine post walk; or possibly trying to escape from her crate whilst I was out for a few hours that evening (she's a real escape artist). It wasn't till the next morning i noticed the problem.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: Tripod lameness

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Evie, I meant to get back to you earlier, but had to work late last night.
There may be several reasons for your girl's lameness, but you can ease her pain somewhat with plain old fashion massage, flexing the leg to keep the muscles supple, and some rest. Give her a chance to let the pain ease. Generally, there is inflammation somewhere which causes pain. Cells are bigger than they should be and they rub against something that they weren't designed to rub against. That inflammation is what triggers the pain. As odd as it sounds, cold compresses do two things: 1) cold 'shrinks' (as opposed to heat which 'expands') and this helps reduce swelling and inflammation; and 2) it kicks in the natural endorphins. I'd be real interested in what doc says as several tripawd families here find themselves facing this from time to time and your experience will be invaluable to them.
Good luck and can we see pic??? What is your girl's name?

WELCOME!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
lenamegan

Post by lenamegan »

Hi Evie,
Many times one or two acupuncture treatments can be very helpful in helping with lameness. I have worked with a number of tripods with lameness problems. Because of the increased weight on the remaining three legs there is a greater chance of sprain or strain. Many times they just need a little help in healing.
Best wishes,
Lena McCullough, DVM
www.pathwithpaws.com
eureka

Post by eureka »

Hi All:

I have been the owner of two Dalmatians, a male and a female. I had to have the male put down mid-January as he suffered from Cauna Equina and it progressed to affecting him nuerologically but the good news is that he made it to 14 years old and all but one was perfect. The female, Spinner is a tri-pod from puppyhood of her right front leg. She is now 11 yrs and she too has been able to lead a perfectly normal life, going up and down the stairs, going on walks, chasing a ball. Her left front leg has developed a lot of arthritis and calcium deposits. It has supported her full weight of 60 lbs for a long time but now is becoming weak. Her rear left leg is also an issue as she suffered a torn cruchite several years ago and healed well but now with age, the leg is toeing in or crossing over as she hops. She is taking 300 mg of Etodolac each day, a multivitamin & glucos/chond tab also. She is showing me that she is in discomfort as she hops out to the yard for bathroom needs and now refuses to go UP the stairs, they are too much for her now. She will come down the stairs as long as I have hold of her collar and I try to stay in front of her to block her site of the entire staircase as she is now very nervous of the decent, I'm sure because she doesn't trust her legs.

I need some ideas to get her up the stairs at bedtime. My husband and I now pick her up together and carry her up. When I took my male to the vet, he could no longer walk so the techs brought out a little stretcher that had cross over velcro straps. I have searched everywhere on the web attempting to find one. It just seems so much easier on us and her to use something like this. Any sources for something like this or does anyone have a great idea of how else we could get her up the stairs, other than installing an elevator platform? I am also wondering if there is something I could use on my own. I have spent the last 6 mo's sleeping on an airbed in the family room because the Dal's have always slept with us and there is no way they could adjust; it's a Dalmatian thing. I certainly can sleep on the airbed from time to time but I'd like to avoid everynight for months or years. Also I'm wondering if there is some type of support device to give her greater strength in the leg. It would have to fit under her shoulder and run down her leg. I know that I can buy a front assist harness but I wanted to hear any other ideas. Again, I can't afford anything very sophisticated. I've spent so much to make the male's life a bit easier and cleaner. I try very hard to be creative in finding solutions but I must confess I'm a little tuckered out after caring for the male, it was 24/7 care and often with little sleep.

I am going to visit Toys r us to see what possible pull or push toy with wheels could work just to move her around downstairs, out to the yards, to the car, etc. I will also check out Home Depot and Lowe's. It really is all about thinking through what I want to accomplish and then searching in abstract areas for the solution. But before I start reinventing the wheel, I thought I would ask for help and advice. Thank you so much.
tessa

Post by tessa »

eureka...
get your vet to order one of those stretchers for their office...and then buy it from them.
sounds great.

evie...it could be a really simple twist/strain/bruise or so forth.
look at her nails. maybe she's got a cracked one?
i hope that simple bed rest will be your solution.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:slant: Eureka! HP used to have stretchers, but I'm not sure if they still do...
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »