Having trouble getting around after 6 years

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
chasdad

Having trouble getting around after 6 years

Post by chasdad »

I have a 7 year old Masitd, named Cha, when she was 7 months old she was hit by a truck, in our yard by a worker in a disel truck that shouldn't have been there. Her entire backside was run over by the disel, one of her back leg couldn't be saved, and the other one was also injuried. The only reason she wasn't completely crushed was because she was lying on dirt and gravel, and it gave more then pavement would of. She under went 9 hours of surgery, and doesn't really complain much, however she is a 85 pound dog, and her breed has one of the heaviest bone densities there is. She is having alot of trouble getting, and is starting to whine when she is just lying down. I would like to get her a wheel for her back leg to take off the pressure, but after pricing them realized I can't afford it. Please, if there's is anyone who can relate, let me know how I can better assist her. :thankyou:
Dianne

Re: Having trouble getting around after 6 years

Post by Dianne »

Did you see this wheelchair plan?

http://www.hhdane.com/care/wheelchair.htm
chasdad

Post by chasdad »

Thanks Dianne for the in put no I hadn't seen the wheelchair plan.
janew

Post by janew »

Cha may be uncomfortable & having trouble getting up & around due to artihitis. It is very common in large breeds at her age even without her history of injuries. Is she on a good joint supplement & non-steriodal anti-inflamatory(i.e. rimadyl) or even enteric coated aspirin (i.e Ecotrin)?
I had a dog with radial nerve damage & numerous other healed injuries from being hit by a car at 7 months of age. She devolped artihitis at about 7 years of age, (she was 75lb dobie mix), I was able to keep her happy & very mobile until I lost her to cancer just shy of 16yrs. I gave Synovi G3 (sp?, we just called them her pretty girl power pills)as a supplement, switched from premium dog food to ultra premium all natural grain free dog foods & supplemented with organic raw meat, cooked sweet potatoes, organic yogurt, etc. I hauled her to accupunture (to my surprise she loved it & equally surprising it helped alot), she was on rimadyl, fish oil, CO Q10, etc. That type of change may make her much comfortable in her coming wheelchair or maybe she won't even need it. She ought to be checked by a vet if possible to rule out other reasons for her discomfort if she has not been seen lately.
Best of luck with her,
jane
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

When she whines lying down, is it a certain position she lies in, or all positions?

I agree on trying an NSAID and a joint supplement. You can give a veterinary joint supplement (flavored tablets) or just give her an inexpensive glucosamine supplement such as you get from Wal-Mart (with approval of your vet, and ask the dosage for a dog her size). It can take a month to see results with glucosamine but it does help.

I also agree it would be good to have her checked out to determine the cause. Have you tried feeling up and down her leg and bending it at the knee and hip yourself to see if you can locate where the pain is coming from?