Tripod cat, bathroom problems. HELP! PLEASE!

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
NicoleAnt

Tripod cat, bathroom problems. HELP! PLEASE!

Post by NicoleAnt »

Hi, I have a tripod cat. He had his back leg amputated when he was 6 mo. old. and he is almost 2 now. He is a little overweight, he lays around a lot because of his missing leg. He has problems going to the bathroom because I think he sits in his litter box when he goes and then it sticks to him when he comes back out again. We end up having to clean him, often giving him baths, 4+ times a week. He is miserable and so are we. I feel like our house has poop everywhere and we are torturing our poor cat with baths all the time. =(
Anyone had a similar experience and figure out a solution.
PLEASE help!
Thanks
critters
Founding Member

Re: Tripod cat, bathroom problems. HELP! PLEASE!

Post by critters »

:slant: Is the litter box low-entry? I'd also help him lose weight; it'd be better for him all around.
NicoleAnt

Post by NicoleAnt »

No it isn't low entry. Would that make a difference with him sitting down on his excrement though?
Do you have any tips on how to help a tripod cat lose weight? He doesn't like to play for more than a minute and he really just does a lot of laying down.
Thank you so much,
Nicole
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Mmm, I do not have a tripod cat but I had an elderly cat who would sometimes sit in the middle of business due to weakness.

1) non-clumping litter...Yesterday's news worked great. If she sat in a wet spot, it did not clump onto her fur

2) trim or shave the bottom and underside of tail. If kitty is long-haired, even if not disabled, excrement can get "hung up" in fur on the way out.

3) diet for quality stools. Stools that are not mushy or gooey are less likely to stick in the fur. If you put her on weight control such as Science Diet w/d dry, you should have good stools, or if not, find a brand that produces good stools for your kitty.
NicoleAnt

Post by NicoleAnt »

Carol, those are incredibly helpful suggestions. Thank you so much. He does have long hair and that might be a huge part of the problem. We buy organic fancy-schmancy dry cat food but he clearly needs to switch to a diet formula. I will try science diet.
Thanks!
Nicole
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Play with him for as long as he will, several times a day, then slowly up the total amount of time he's playing. Also reduce calorie intake at the same time. There are lots of neat toys out there so you can play with him, and a large cat tree will give him places to sleep while making him work to get to them. :D A sibling might help, too; 4 of my boys are bitey friends for the baby Fartling who popped out of the storm sewer a year ago, and they have the BEST time!!!!