Please help! Rottie recent amputee-having a hard time.

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
barretta

Please help! Rottie recent amputee-having a hard time.

Post by barretta »

My beautiful, handsome Bear, almost 8 yrs. old, just underwent amputation of right rear leg due to bone cancer. Please help me to know what to do, he hasn't come home yet, and I bought him a new orthopedic mat with the waves and curves in it. I feel so lost and scared and guilty, etc. Since he is a large breed, I know it's going to be harder. We have a three legged cat we adopted that way, and he is almost 20yrs old. now.
Please just give me some advice and tips as to how to help him along, how to take him to potty, etc.
Thank you so very much for any help.
CarolC

Re: Please help! Rottie recent amputee-having a hard time.

Post by CarolC »

Hi Barretta,

I can't tell you much from personal experience. I have a 3-legged dog but she is also paralyzed so it's a different situation. Here are some links about what to expect after amputation, including helping them get around during those early days. Dogs carry 60% of their weight on their front legs so hopefully your dog will do fine. A harness might let you help him up and down stairs, in and out of the car, etc. Have you considered getting a harness, or is the hospital going to send one home with him maybe?

http://www.people.ku.edu/~cadavis/WhatToExpect.shtml

http://www.acvs.org/AnimalOwners/Health ... intReady=Y

:slant:
barretta

Post by barretta »

Dear Carol C - thank you sooooo much for those sites. I just finished reading the stories and am now going to read about the facts and what to expect after amputation. Bear may possibly get to come home tomorrow, so I'm excited to have him back, but nervous at the same time. Thank you so much for this information, I really appreciate it.
jimichunga

Post by jimichunga »

Hi Baretta,

How did the procedure go? I just found out my 8 yr old Rott 'Baja' has bone cancer and the vet is recommending amputation.

Hope all is well.
barretta

Post by barretta »

Hi Jimichunga - Well, of course at first it was harder, but once he came home, I tried to be with him all the time, sleeping on the couch so I could be there if he needed to go outside for a bathroom break. But, as far as him recovering, he did really well. Once he was able to learn to walk and position his hind leg to serve as both legs, you couldn't stop him. It was amazing how quickly he adapted. Luckily, he was staying at the vet's where my daughter works, and was given a little extra TLC and attention. They took him outside to learn to go to the bathroom before he came home, and once he did that, he seemed to help his confidence. I then went to see the oncologist and we decided to do the most expensive chemotherapy for him. If you have more questions about the names and such, please let me know and I will get that for you.
But I definitely recommend the amputation because my vet explained, that if it wasn't done, he would only live a few months. I don't know about you, but I couldn't bear the thought of that.
I'm so glad you contacted me and if there are any further questions I can help you with, please feel free to contact me. Bear will be receiving his last chemo treatment next week, and thank God, his x-rays are all clear and he is doing great.
Let me hear from you and please let me know if I can help further.
Good Luck - Barretta