10 Weeks Post Amputation

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
mc0wenm

10 Weeks Post Amputation

Post by mc0wenm »

10 weeks ago our 15 year old cat Marie had her right rear leg removed due to a tumor. In the week after the surgery she seemed to be recovering fine and was pretty mobile. She then started having these episodes where she couldn't stand up and instead would start scooting backwards on the floor. Her appetite and kitty box habits have remained robust during all of this. We took her back to the vet and he said that it seemed that her lower back was very tender and so he put her on an anti-inflammatory.
She really has not improved much since then. She has rare moments when she will get up and move around, but she continues to have these episodes where she sort of seems to be having a fit. It looks like she thinks that leg is still there and she is trying to use it and doesn't understand what's going on.
This morning when I picked her up (I seem to carry her around a lot these days) she seemed so morose, and on regular intervals she would have a small shudder.
Yesterday morning she whined all morning for food like she couldn't get filled up - I fed her four times before she was finally satiated. This morning her appetite seemed back to normal.
I am thinking that she is maybe depressed? The vet couldn't find anything in the blood work or physical exam. Maybe she is too old to adjust to the amputation? Or maybe it's just going to take a really long time?
Right now the only time she is happy and purring is when she is on my desk right in front of me and my arms have to go around her in order to reach the keyboard. If I didn't have to do actual work this would be fine! Also, it just seems that she needs to get back to her old self-reliance.
I am wondering if there is any information on physical therapy or play therapy for cats? I wondered if maybe she started playing with things she might get some mobility back.
FYI

Re: 10 Weeks Post Amputation

Post by FYI »

mc0wenm

Post by mc0wenm »

Thanks so much! This is a huge help.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

mc0wenm wrote: She really has not improved much since then. She has rare moments when she will get up and move around, but she continues to have these episodes where she sort of seems to be having a fit. It looks like she thinks that leg is still there and she is trying to use it and doesn't understand what's going on.
She probably IS trying to use it; my Tripod does, and her arm's been gone for about 12 years now. I suspect that your baby is having muscle pain from the new way of locomotion at 15 years old. Have you tried meds for that?