Harness Suggestion for a front leg amputee???

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
Lawren F

Harness Suggestion for a front leg amputee???

Post by Lawren F »

I am so glad I found this community, now I hope someone can help.

My dog had a front leg amputation two weeks ago after a serious injury. Although he has returned to his normal activities some things have changed and I need help.

He no longer can use normal harnesses because they require both front legs in order to be effective. So far I have not found any type harness that would help restrain him when out walking. A normal harness now is useless because he can manipulate himself right out of it. Back leg harness doesn't look like it will work either. He doesn't have a problem walking so he doesn't need that type support. He is very high strung and highly active so I need to be able to control restrain him when out.

Does anyone know of any type harness available that will help? I hate leaving him at home all the time, he loves to go out.
Attachments
100_1650.JPG
CarolC

Re: Harness Suggestion for a front leg amputee???

Post by CarolC »

Hi Lawren,

I'm just guessing here, I haven't tried this, but have you looked at the Comfort Control harnesses? They are more like a cat or ferret harness. You can see some if you scroll down this page. If it doesn't work, you could take it back...?

http://www.petco.com/N_22_4294956566_30 ... ashes.aspx
Petco_comfort_control_harness.jpg
If that doesn't work, this is the one they recommend on Tripawds.com. I know you said he doesn't need support, just restraint, but maybe it would work for restraint.

http://handicappedpets.com/www/index.ph ... rness.html
lift1.jpg
lift2.jpg
P.S. That's kind of a cool problem to have with a 3-legged dog...he pulls too hard! :D
Lawren F

Post by Lawren F »

Hey Carol, thank you for your suggestions. I think the first one you suggested might work, we're going to try it and see.

Yes having a tripod dog who pulls too much is "different". This hasn't slowed Houston down one bit. It might also be that he is not quite 2 years old yet. He's strong and he bounced back really quick after his surgery (3 days).

Thanks again for your help.

Lawren
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Hmm. How about one of those head halter kinds of deals?