Tripod lab

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
galway_dog

Tripod lab

Post by galway_dog »

I have a 7 year old female tripod lab (with a front leg missing). I've had her for about 6 years now, I got her from the GSPCA (the Galway Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals). I am noticing that she is having a bit harder time with her mobility. Any trips to the beach leave her virtually unable to stand etc. She's getting a bit older now and are there things I can do to make her life/mobility better? I keep her fairly lean to try and alleviate extra weight on her front leg and also try and not let her over do it on fun days out at the beach. Is diet food a good idea? I see dog treats geared toward healthy joints, are they also something I should try?

Is arthritis something I need to watch out for?

Loads of questions! Basically any advice on caring for a tripod getting older would be appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Tripod lab

Post by critters »

Hmm. I wonder if it's the squashiness of the sand that's causing the soreness?
galway_dog

Post by galway_dog »

There's a bit of loose sand but a lot would be somewhat wet and firm. I think she just gets worn out. Being seven she's not a puppy anymore...
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I think joint supplements would be a great idea. My dogs get glucosamine, it is really inexpensive. There are several other supplements that are also good for the joints. You might also ask the vet about some type of arthritis medication to see if it helps.

:banner: