Is a mobility aid always destined for the future?

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
galway_dog

Is a mobility aid always destined for the future?

Post by galway_dog »

I have a question that probably can't be answered. I've written here (recently) before about my golden lab 'Millie' that is missing a front leg since she was about 8 months old. She is about 7 now. I'm sure that every case is different depending on the dog but would it be only a matter of time before she needs to use a wheeled frame to help her get around or is it possible/probable that she may never need it? She means the world to me and If she ever needs some sort of mobility aid then so be it, she'll have it. I think I'm asking so that I can get myself mentally prepared.

The picture is from about 3 years ago. I'm not sure why she has the collar on, she never wears it. There really isn't any need as we live on an island off the west of Ireland and everyone knows her.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: Is a mobility aid always destined for the future?

Post by Bobbie »

No way to predict, but her odds are a little higher since if one leg were to weaken or get arthritic she might need a cart. But I would not worry about it, just keep an eye on whether she ever limps or seems stiff or reluctant to move. She has done great so far. Many dog's do get arthritic around 10-12 especially if there is more stress on the legs as there is when one is missing.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
galway_dog

Post by galway_dog »

Would you know of anything I can give her that can help combat the onset of any (possible future) arthritis? I've seen dog treats that say are good for joints, but I always wonder if that is just a gimmick.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

Glucosamine, and it doesn't have to be in anything or especially for dog's, 1000 mg a day. May not help but won't hurt and it could help a lot. That and you probably know to keep her lean. Extra weight does dog joints in fast.

I also find dogs have much more trouble on cement, so minimize walks on cement and try to go for other surfaces that are more forgiving. But if all you have is cement, exercising on it is better than not exercising.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
Tambo252

Post by Tambo252 »

My sweet boy, Cuz, had a back leg removed in 2000. Now, at the age of 14 - he is still mobile without assistance. I am beginning to notice some arthritis and know that a chair is in our near future, but he's done exceptionally great all these years. Like the other mentioned - the less cement the better. We have not used joint supplements.

Best of luck to you and Millie!