Amputation or Prosthetic? PLEASE HELP

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
kloehn2042@yahoo.com

Amputation or Prosthetic? PLEASE HELP

Post by kloehn2042@yahoo.com »

I recently rescued a 4 month old puppy from our shelter. He is missing half of his back left leg. I have gone to multiple vets all recommending further amputation up to the hip (his stub reopens occasionally when he rubs it). When I bring up a prosthetic instead they just shrug it off often saying it's just expensive. I want opinions of people with experience. I do not mind expense and care more about his overall comfort through life. He wont be too big of a dog maybe 12-15 lbs.

Would you suggest amputation or prosthetic. Sometimes I wish he could just talk so I knew which he would prefer haha.
Attachments
Oliver
Oliver
sdrakkan

Re: Amputation or Prosthetic? PLEASE HELP

Post by sdrakkan »

I'm not the savant with amputees like other members are, but I would keep it covered and let him figure out being a tripod. Most dogs adapt very well and don't need a prosthetic at all. If he keeps trying to put weight on it and opens the end, then amputation farther up may be in his best interest.
http://sabrieldrakkan.deviantart.com/
http://sdrakkan.webs.com/index.htm
4 Ball Pythons, 1 Cornsnake, 3 Boas, 3 Tarantulas, 1 Quaker Parrot, 2 Tuxedo Cats, and 21 darling rescue Rats.
Lucys human

Post by Lucys human »

My late collie/gsd cross had a high left rear amuption but my neighbours smaller collie/whippet cross has a lower right rear leg amutation, hers is just above the knee.
Young dogs cope well with amputations and hopefully your baby will too.
I agree give him time and see how he copes and see if the wound will fully heal and if not he may need a higher amputation.
Try not to fuss over his stump if you worry your pup will too.
He is very lucky to have found such a caring and dedicated owner but i'm sure you feel equally lucky to have found him.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

With smaller critters especially, they don't seem to do prosthetics as often, and your baby would probably be OK without the limb. The main downsides to prosthetics would be cost, difficulty finding a provider, and fiddling with it/them life-long. The amputation would essentially be hands-off after healing. If you'd like to consider a prosthesis, I'd call around and check out the options, especially local ones. Local ones would be a LOT easier to deal with if there's a problem. After you have all the info you can decide whether or not to schedule the surgery.