Tripod cat Doesn't Want to use Remaining Rear Leg

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
Phantomhorse1810

Tripod cat Doesn't Want to use Remaining Rear Leg

Post by Phantomhorse1810 »

So my family adopted a tripod cat in August. He was hit by a car in July and had to have his back right leg amputated. He doesn't really have a stump, he lost his leg all the way to the hip. He also had multiple fractures on his pelvis as well as a fracture on his left rear leg. He had to be on a month of cage rest because of his fractured pelvis. He is a lovely cat, sweet as anything, but he is currently having a problem. Since August I have rarely seen him push off of his back leg. The vet saw nothing wrong with his leg, but he will drag himself across the floor rather than use the leg. He walks often enough, but seems to use the leg as a cane rather than a part of him. He will not go up stairs with out assistance and seems to really hate using the leg at all. He also does not enjoy having his leg touched some of the time and the other half of the time he acts as if his leg wasn't even touched.
What could be the problem?
:thankyou:
Jean

Re: Tripod cat Doesn't Want to use Remaining Rear Leg

Post by Jean »

Hi,
I have a cat named Jesse who appears to have similar problems as your cat. Jesse was hit by a car (HBC) and had numerous pelvic fractures. She ended up at a Animal Shelter at 6 weeks of age with massive injuries. She also had to have one of her back legs removed due to her injuries.
When she walks she will weightbear and then drag and continue this pattern of walking and dragging as she moves around the house. She also has muscle spasms where her tail will twitch and she will drop stool on the floor. But, she will also use the catbox at times.
Your cat likely has neurological damage from the pelvic injuries. But, the good news is that he may recover normal ambulation abilities with time. It takes months for nerves to regenerate and with it only having been a short time since he was HBC he may recover./Jean
PS: Thanks for caring enough to take in this little guy. He will reward you with many happy years.
He may never be "perfect" but he sounds like he has a great personality !!!!
critters
Founding Member

Re: Tripod cat Doesn't Want to use Remaining Rear Leg

Post by critters »

Like the other poster on this board, who has a more recent tripod, I'd try gabapentin and/or an NSAID. After all those fractures, surely he hurts!