5 Week Post-OP feline hind leg amputee having problems

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
krnflakgrl71

5 Week Post-OP feline hind leg amputee having problems

Post by krnflakgrl71 »

Hi All! Let me introduce myself, my name is Jen and my beloved cat's name is Lucy. We adopted her from a shelter in March of this year and a month later found
a lump on her left rear leg. Long story short- it ended up being VAS (Vaccine Associated Sarcoma) and we had to amputate to save her life. She had her surgery on Sept 15th and her recovery went pretty well, though she had to wear an e-collar for a full two weeks. We also had a setback after she had her stitches removed, as she hid for an entire week afterward.

She's getting around okay, eating, drinking, using the litterbox, and playing occasionally (though she's not as interested in it as before) She's not jumping (other than in one of our low chairs in the living room), but HAS gone up and down the basement stairs once.. So, all in all..she's doing pretty well....HOWEVER, just last week she started crying out when she tried to get up..she'd meow..lose balance for a second, right herself, and then walk.. It has escalated and now she seems to be getting pains not only when she's getting up (which is EVERY time)..but also when she's walking. If she's laying down resting, or sleeping, she's fine.

At first, I thought it was just frustration with trying to use the missing leg..Now,I'm guessing that these are phantom pains and we went back to the vet on Tuesday to confirm. They felt her missing leg area and her remaining leg and didn't feel anything out of the ordinary. She's also not tender to touch there. She does have an area on her back that seems to be a little more sensitive..it's right above where the leg was removed, but she was always sensitive on her lower back...Either way..the vet agrees with us and we've ordered some Gabapentin for her- a nerve pain blocker..

I'm just beside myself watching her. It's tearing me up. She doesn't seem miserable or anything, but it's like watching something invisible hurt her as she's trying to get used to things. It's very odd too...she'll cry out..but then right after, go get something to eat or drink..so as soon as it happens, it's gone as well..very strange..

Have any of you experienced this THIS far along? Dog OR Cat amputees?? Any info or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated...Thanks so much!

Jen and Lucy in St. Louis
critters
Founding Member

Re: 5 Week Post-OP feline hind leg amputee having problems

Post by critters »

Gabapentin is good, but I also wonder about an NSAID? Perhaps some of her other muscles aren't happy having to get around in a new way.