Advice - Possible Frontleg Amputation

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
mhardin1

Advice - Possible Frontleg Amputation

Post by mhardin1 »

Hello. My name is Matt. I am new to this forum and looking for advice. I have 7 year old male German Shepherd named Tucker. Tragically, he was hit by a car last night. He has been diagnosed with Brachial Plexus Avulsion in his right foreleg. He does not respond to any stimulus in the leg/shoulder. The Emergency Vet that we took him to had a negative prognosis and was slightly pushing euthanization due to quality of life. I simply could not accept this without a second opinion. This is by the far the best dog I have ever known. He is my right hand man, a true friend and companion. Not only would I have trouble accepting that prognosis emotionally, but I felt that I owed it to him to explore all options. So, I took him to local vet that does a lot of Ortho procedures. The vet there confirmed the diagnosis. He suggested that take him home and see if he recovers any neuro function (extremely unlikely) and to see if he is able to get around on three legs. If so, then we will consider amputation. I forgot to mention that he is 100 lbs but very fit and in shape. He has never been overweight. The most important thing to me is quality of life. Does anyone have experience with dogs of that size, age losing a front limb?
LisainCAN

Re: Advice - Possible Frontleg Amputation

Post by LisainCAN »

Hello Matt and welcome,

There are all kinds of differently-limbed animals on here: ones with 3 legs, 2 legs, twisted legs, paralyzed legs, etc. Based on everything I have read, I would imagine that your dog would do just fine. Dogs have an amazing capacity to adapt. I realize that he is a larger dog and that it is a front limb, but I cannot think why it should not be tried. I would imagine you would have to watch his good front leg to make sure that it is doing well accepting the weight and perhaps use supplements like glucosamine. I have two Mastiffs and a very, very large American Bulldog and I would not hesitate to amputate, but that is me. I am sure you will make the best decision for your dog. He is lucky to have you.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Advice - Possible Frontleg Amputation

Post by critters »

I once got a kitten who'd been hit by a car and who sustained the same injury. Given time, her nerve regenerated itself. I'd suggest a splint to keep the limb in the position of function, like http://www.handicappedpets.com/walkin-w ... lints.html .