Newly adopted amputee

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
Qtrhorsegal

Newly adopted amputee

Post by Qtrhorsegal »

So glad to have found this forum. I work at a vet clinic so am incredibly fortunate that all my vet bills are paid for. Long story short, a 3 year old Lab came in that had been hit by a car (we think), front leg shattered and completely degloved. Also lots of what looks like tire burns across her back. We amputated 12 days ago. Owners relinquished ownership and I now have her. I've had her home for 3 days and my other 2 dogs are adjusting well to her. She's a sweet girl. Has anyone tried laser treatments for the healing of amputation site and for pain relief? She is on tramadol and seems to be working. She does alot of whining, first I thought it was pain and we adjusted her meds. Now we are thinking it may be a combination of pain, trauma, moving to a new home, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. She doesn't like to have me out of her sight and follows me everywhere. We also just confirmed that she is heartworm positive and the previous owners never had her spayed. She's got a long way to go now with heartworm treatments and another surgery. I see alot of products out there, what is really necessary and what is not? Thanks!
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: Newly adopted amputee

Post by Bobbie »

good for you, adopting her! What's her name?

Not sure what you mean about products. Products for what, specifically?

I've heard of people getting good results with laser for pain but no firsthand experience. No idea on stump healing.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

From reading the posts on this board, people always say they do much better once the stitches are out. You might want a front harness for when you take her places that might have slippery floors, like the vet clinic. A front harness can help her get in and out of the car and avoid slipping on the linoleum. tripawds.com recommends the RuffWear Webmaster harness. If your floors at home are slippery, nonslip rugs or runners would make things easier for her. If it was my dog, I'd want her on some kind of joint supplement because she'll be using her front leg differently and more. They also recommend keeping the nails trimmed. It's sad the way some people don't do anything for their dog, I'm glad you have her.
slshepherds

Post by slshepherds »

Welcome

Several years ago I took in a Lab who also required a forelimb amputation. After the initial couple of days he was fine, no issues with pain at the amputation site. You don't say what causes her to whine, but I'm wondering if perhaps she is uncomfortable somewhere else? How is her remaining forelimb? Given she had possible tire marks on her back could she have an injury there, be it orthopedic or soft tissue? As you mention it could also be that she is just adjusting to her new situation. When it comes to lasers I'm still a sceptic - there is not much research around at this time and I think the placebo effect may play a role.

As Carol suggests I would get her a Webmaster harness - they work so well for forelimb amputees. I have two that I no longer use, if you want one let me know and I'll send it to you.

regards
Joanne
Joanne
Carl, Tiny, Freckles (paralyzed Lab, mix and Red Heeler)
Sam I Am (Lymphoma, Lab)
Eli, Aoibhe, Tesla (limb deformities, GSDs and Lab mix)
Mochridhe (storage disease, GSD)

http://www.straightlegshepherds.org
http://www.paralyzeddogs.org
Qtrhorsegal

Post by Qtrhorsegal »

Hi everyone, thanks so much for your replies. My friend who is a massage therapist is coming over today to do some massage on my girl. We named her Gracie. I'm not sure where the whining is coming from. She's on Tramadol, 100 mg 3 times a day, Rimadyl 50 mg twice a day and still on antibiotics. I have noticed some muscle trembling/spasm at the amputation site, so that's why my friend is coming over to see if she can help. She didn't seem to have any other injuries other than the leg and the horrible tire burn across her back, not sure if that is what could be hurting her? I'm sure its not comfortable! We are doing water therapy on the burn and using Vetricyn on the wound. Other limbs look good. I guess as far as products, I was wondering about the joint supplement, which I think I should absolutely use. I have seen some of the harnesses and there was another product that basically cushioned the good leg when she lays down. What about the splint supports for other legs? This is my first dog with wounds like this and needing so much care. I'm a horse girl and used to dealing with things like this with horses, so with a horse I would be putting splints on opposite good leg. No amputee horses yet, but just broken legs. Joanne, that is so kind of you to offer your extra harness to me, I greatly appreciate it! I have a nonprofit ministry http://www.steppingstonesranch.org and we took Gracie out to meet one of the kids yesterday and she didn't even notice her leg gone! She noticed her wound on her back, but not the missing leg. Kids are great!