back curvature after rear amputation

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
NicoleM

back curvature after rear amputation

Post by NicoleM »

I have a 45 lb pit bull named Rocco who had his leg amputated at the animal shelter when he was about 6 months old after being hit by a car. He's been with us for 6 months now and we've noticed his back is starting to curve. I've been keeping a close eye on him since we noticed. He never really straightens his back out. When he walks, runs, sits, sleeps...his back is always curved. I know it wasn't like that 6 months ago. I started to have him roll on his back and I try to hold that position while I rub his belly, to try to get him to stretch his muscles out. I'm not really sure what else to do. I'm worried it is going to effect his walking if the curve gets worse.

He was going up and down the stairs, but about 2 weeks ago he stopped going up stairs. He runs down, but he won't even go up the one step to get in the back door. I think it hurts him to extend his back to a normal position.

Have you heard of this happening in tripods and is there any stretch or therapy to help correct it?