Back leg amputee & urination -- need advice

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
chipnohip

Back leg amputee & urination -- need advice

Post by chipnohip »

Hi-
I am in the process of adopting a three legged dog (Boston Terrier). He lost his hind leg at birth and the owner didn't bother to care for him (he doesn't know his name, has no shots). He doesn't seem to be able to pee or poo without it going all over himself. Does anyone have any ideas on how to help him and stop this? We have to give him a bath every time he pees which is obviously not ideal. Thanks!
CarolC

Re: Back leg amputee & urination -- need advice

Post by CarolC »

I have heard of this in one other dog. Is he peeing on his hind leg, his front feet, his abdomen, or...? And is he soiling himself on his hind leg, or...? I think the answer for the Number Two problem would be to feed him a different diet for better stool quality. It does not have to stick or smear or soil his coat when he poos, if it is firm, dry-ish, and well formed it will leave no trace if stools touch his hind leg. I've used Science Diet w/d dry kibble and there is no problem with messy stools in incontinent dogs, so I think it would work for an amputee with a squatting problem. :)

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2463&p=10835&hilit ... hua#p10835
chipnohip

Post by chipnohip »

Hi!
He is actually peeing on his abdomen and his front paws. He doesn't have any problem with pooing (thankfully!).
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

OK, that it is very like the dog in this post from 2004. He was an amputee and he was urinating on himself. They thought it was because he was still trying to lift his leg as male dogs do, even though he'd had an amputation.

http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/view ... hua#p10835

I think a belly band would solve the problem. When he goes out and finds his spot to pee, the urine will go into the pad he is wearing instead of onto him. They are so easy to use--velcro. :wink:

:malewrap:

I got malewraps for my dog at http://www.indogneeto.com/index2.asp?id=3&cid=68 and loved them.
chipnohip

Post by chipnohip »

thanks!!