Advice for an amputee kitty

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
BrandonB

Advice for an amputee kitty

Post by BrandonB »

Hi All,

I've been looking around the net to find advice on raising a 3 legged kitty and I came across this forum, seemed like a fantastic idea so I thought I would see if anyone had any tips for us.

Around new year we were looking at fostering rescue kittens for our local SPCA, and while we looking at the animals waiting for adoption we came across a three legged 1 year old who we instantly fell for, so we thought about for a minute or two then we permanently adopted her. Her story was that she was found by a member of the public and brought in to the SPCA, her front leg had apparently been bitten by a dog and due to her being homeless and untreated it went septic and had to be removed. When we took her she was fully healed and ready to be housed.

What we want to know is about any special care we should take with her to try and avoid future problems. We were told to try and keep her weight down so she wouldnt have so much pressure on her shoulders, but its very hard to judge how heavy is too heavy. She has no problem getting about, she runs jumps and climbs, sometimes she falls on her bum but she never gives up. We just want to keep her as healthy as we can for as long as we can. Do tripods tend to suffer injuries in later life due to the stress on their backs? She is a Manx too, so shes quite stocky.

Any advice would be appreciated, if I can figure out how to add pics I will =)

Cheers
Brandon
critters
Founding Member

Re: Advice for an amputee kitty

Post by critters »

My tripods haven't had any problems; Lefty was born tripod, and Tripod was amputated as a baby. I consider tripods disfigured, not disabled. :mrgreen:
BrandonB

Re: Advice for an amputee kitty

Post by BrandonB »

Totally :) It doesnt slow her down in the least. When we first got her she would take a few steps then slump on the ground waiting to be carried about. She would slowly limp about, no more than 2-3 steps at a time, looking very sorry for herself. Now shes just a mad fluffy tornado, flying around the house. She has so many little quirky behaviours that she's adopted to compensate for the missing leg, shes always surprising us :)