Mobility devices

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
DonnaS

Mobility devices

Post by DonnaS »

I recently adopted a three legged small mixed breed dog with spinal injuries. He was using a donated chair. My vet and I agreed that it was best to remove his remaining back leg. Now with no back legs, I will be ordering a custom chair for outside. My question is, is there such thing as a "scoot pad or board" for inside. I don't like the drag bags as there seems little fresh air moving through the bag and the other dogs use it to pull this dog around.
CarolC

Re: Mobility devices

Post by CarolC »

Hi DonnaS,

:thinking: They do make a drag bag that is ventilated, you could see it here:
http://www.k-9cart.com/Diapers-Drag-Bags/Protect-A-Pet wrote:•Water-resistant nylon lining keeps floors clean from accidents
•Nylon material slides easily on carpets and floors.
•Vent, on top, allows for air circulation
•Full length zippers on both sides for easy entry/exit.
• Absorbent inside liner made of Poochpants material is removable and machine washable, if soiled.
•All Protect-a-Pets come with one removable liner.
Not sure what to do about the other dogs pulling him, that's not good. I am not aware of a scoot board that is commercially available but you could improvise something, but then I'm trying to figure out, would the other dogs bother that, too? I remember someone improvising one, but I don't remember what they used. I'll trying asking someone else who might remember...
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

One of our corgi people made one. He took a heavy duty bucket lid, and attached three casters (swivel) and padded the top. I guess it worked quite well. Worth a try!
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
DonnaS

Post by DonnaS »

Thank you every one, I have gotten some awesome ideas to discuss with my vet. I spend hours searching for the items that will work best for my new man. He is very active and I want him to fully enjoy all that life has to offer but still keep him safe. Right now he is separated from my other dogs until his stitches come out. My Scooter Bug wants to play so bad but will have to wait another week.
DonnaS

Post by DonnaS »

Bobbie, I would love to be able to talk to the person you mentioned who made the lid with wheels to get an idea of exactly how it worked if possible.