My sweet kitty went into liver failure after her amputation

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
Queen Victoria

My sweet kitty went into liver failure after her amputation

Post by Queen Victoria »

My heart is broken. She had bone cancer and all her blood studies were normal. What a shock, i loved this kitty so much.
Has this happened to anyone else.
Victoria was 13/14 years old, she was checked out thoroughly before the surgery and all her blood studies checked out just fine. She would not eat or drink after the surgery so the vet thought bringing her home would encourage her to eat.
Brought her back to clinic after 5 hours at home to find that her liver enzymes had sky rocketed and her red blood cell had dropped very low.
I tried to do everything for her best interest.
Should I have just put her to sleep without the surgery? She was careful checked out for the surgery.
Please answer me...I feel so bad. :cry:
CarolC

Re: My sweet kitty went into liver failure after her amputat

Post by CarolC »

I would have done the surgery. I would have done the same thing. There was a kitty on this message board who had an amputation at 16, so I do not think 13/14 was too old. I do not remember this exact thing happening (liver failure), but there have been two kitties here who had amputation surgery who both died of cardiac arrest following surgery. They were both screened before surgery, too. In fact, one of them was under care at a large teaching hospital. You did everything right. You ran the tests and they were OK. You would not have done the surgery if it was not necessary. I am so sorry. There are no words for losing a pet that you love so much. I believe she knows your heart and knows all was done to help her, and the love between you is as it always was.
Queen Victoria

Re: My sweet kitty went into liver failure after her amputat

Post by Queen Victoria »

Thank you so very much. I have an appointment with my vet Wednesday who I have been going to for 30 years. The entire clinic is heart broken. Victoria was a very special soul.