amputated cat won't eat/drink, help!

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
ndubby

amputated cat won't eat/drink, help!

Post by ndubby »

This past mother's day, on Sunday, we found our cat, Ted, broken and bleeding on the pavement. He had an obviously broken hind leg, stomach wounds, and two broken teeth. We immediately brought him to a vet to get treatment and when he was stable they sent us to a animal ER with a board certified surgeon. There he had to have his leg amputated. We got him back yesterday only he has had no interest in food at all, he hasn't eaten properly since before his accident 5 days ago! Since then he has had IV's and fluids and we have tried to get him to drink/eat. We just took him back to our local vet today for some more treatment and fluids but he still hasn't been interested in food or water, Any help/ advice?!

Also note: he is an older cat (a tabby about 10+ years) and has an irregular heart beat. The vet also thinks that he may have a blood clot in his remaining hind leg and is worried that giving him fluids may be too much for his heart.
critters
Founding Member

Re: amputated cat won't eat/drink, help!

Post by critters »

:slant: Have you tried the special pureed food, like a/d and Recovery? They're especially yummy and soft enough to feed via syringe if necessary. I prefer Recovery, which you can get at PetSmart with a RX. In the meantime, try human baby food in plain meat flavors (also syringable. Watch that there's no onion in it; you don't need anemia on top of it all!), cheese, lunchmeat, or even KFC chicken with the skin pulled off (said to be irresistible, but we've never tried that one). Tuna Select food, by either 9 Lives or Friskies, is particularly nasty, so, of course, cats LOVE it!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

PS--For drinking you can try some meat broth or tuna juice (I think I'd use the water kind rather than the oil kind) in his water.
ndubby

Post by ndubby »

I will definitely try some of these things out! The vet said he had anemia and is going to try and treat him for that but otherwise we have tried tuna and friskies (two of his favorites) and he hasn't shown much interest. I will try to offer him some and he'll sniff at it and turn away. Hopefully getting fluids from the vet will help him out, thanks again!