Amputation coming up - what should I expect

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
o5386

Amputation coming up - what should I expect

Post by o5386 »

Hi everyone. Long story short, my 100 pound (45 Kg) Alaskan Malamute shattered his left front leg right above his paw in January of this year. An emergency surgery was performed the next day with external fixation to set the bones. After 3 months, the hardware was removed and the leg put into a supportive soft bandage. However, as the treatment continued, the vet advised me that the bone density in the leg was becoming less and less and that the leg would not be able to hold the dogs weight. A bone graft was suggested as a possible treatment in the future.
I became very concerned and took the dog to another vet for a second opinion. Vet # 2 stated a bone graft could be attempted, but there was a good chance that it would not work. He also stated that there was no hope in saving the leg with the present course of treatment.
After spending a considerable sum of money, I have two options. Option 1 - do the bone graft and, if unsuccessful, euthanize the dog because I don't have additional funds for an amputation. Option 2 - amputate the left front leg and possibly look into a prosthetic device for the dog.
My dog is an 8 year old in good health (other that the leg). If anyone has any experience with front leg amputations and/or prosthetic devices used by large breed dogs, could you please share your experience so that I may know what to expect? Thanks in advance.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: Amputation coming up - what should I expect

Post by Bobbie »

Check Orthopets for prostheses. Another option would be a front-wheel cart. Some dogs manage without anything but your dog may be large enough that he needs some kind of assist.

Since I doubt you can do anything about a prosthetic device immediately, the main thing I'd do now is find out what kind of stump he needs to use one and make sure the surgeon understands. Then do the amputation and let it heal, and see how much he can manage without anything. If that's a lot, you might go front wheel cart for long walks. If it is very little, and you can afford it, maybe a prosthesis.

A third option might be to skip the amputation and put the dog in a front wheel cart. How does he do now, if he can't put weight on his front leg?
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
CarolC

Re: Amputation coming up - what should I expect

Post by CarolC »

You may get more information on this site

http://www.tripawds.com

He is a large breed and 8 yrs old, but he might be able to manage with one front leg. The way they test is by putting one leg up to see how well he can get around on 3.

If bone density is the problem, why not just get him a really good, comfortable splint that he can wear? Orthopets (that Bobbie mentioned) makes custom splints, or you can try one of these. Fit will be the key, it needs to be something he can tolerate for many hours a day. You would need to check with them on how many hours a day he can wear it.

http://www.handicappedpets.com/help-pet ... brace.html

If you find yourself in a tight spot financially, you can get a loan for emergency veterinary care at http://www.carecredit.com. They let you know right away if you are accepted, and most people I know of have been accepted. The terms are very good and you may not have to start repaying for several months. Care Credit is widely accepted at veterinary hospitals, and you may be able to get an application at your veterinary hospital's reception desk, or you can apply online.