Regression post amputation

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
Emchlo

Regression post amputation

Post by Emchlo »

Hello,
My dog had her rear leg amputated about a month ago. She had been walking on 3 legs prior to surgery for about 2 months. Within the past couple of days, she has been having more difficulty getting around and attempting to "walk" on the leg that is no longer there. Her other rear leg is fine, just checked and cleared by the vet 2 days ago. Attempting to walk on the nub, causes her to drag her backend on the floor and fall to a sitting position. She doesn't act like she is having pain. She weighs 18-20 pounds/ shih tzu poodle mix, and is 10yrs old. Any suggestions as to why this is happening? Or what I can do to help her learn that her leg is no longer there? Or how I can assist her with walking?
Thank you
CarolC

Re: Regression post amputation

Post by CarolC »

I'm sorry you haven't received any replies yet. I might suggest also searching for an answer or asking on http://tripawds.com/forums/.
:angel:
critters
Founding Member

Re: Regression post amputation

Post by critters »

Weird that that would happen since she was already a functional tripod... I'd just give her time. If you wanted to, you could use a walking aid to help her balance. In fact, you might be able to help her enough with just the standard walking chest harness. It's only been a month, but, then, she is "older."

:whale: