Should we amputate?

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
SMX

Re: Should we amputate?

Post by SMX »

Dude is doing some by himself now, he's either going into his litter tray or onto the beanbag, squatting and doing a small puddle, it's not enough to empty him bladder so I'm helping him along that way. Or he will help himself when he's cleaning down there it will flow out of him! The vet said there still might be a chance of recovery so keep going the way we are and watch out that he doesn't get sick.
So fingers crossed he will realise how to empty his bladder fully by himself!
SMX

Post by SMX »

Just wondering how to you guys know when your cats bladder is empty? Dude will pee, sometimes by squatting in the tray, sometimes on the floor, and sometimes when he licks his genitals. He seems to pass a lot, like for example today I brought him outside on his harness and lead, and he did 3 big ish pees but even after that he was still scratching and squatting with nothing passing, I felt his bladder and it feels about the size of a plum. It was the size of a small orange earlier (yep I use fruit to describe him :P) so it has gone down but when I described it to the vet earlier when he was over for physio she said that still isn't empty enough :? I'm still helping him by stimulating him if he hasn't peed in about 12 hours but I've only had to do it once in the last 3 days. The emptiest he's been in the size of a kumquat, would that be fully empty? Most things I've read say when it goes floppy but his is rigid all the time no matter the size so it's really hard to tell. I'm so worried about him getting a UTI!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Hmm. I have NO idea how big a kumquat is, so no help here.
SMX

Post by SMX »

It's a little bit bigger than an olive!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Oh! Well, that sounds tiny, then. There will always be some size to it, even when it's as empty as it's going to get. Lemon-sized is probably something about normal-sized; grapefruit-sized is WAY overloaded.