Excessive Grooming

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
Ms McCoon

Excessive Grooming

Post by Ms McCoon »

My nine year old Maine Coon had his right front leg amputated at the beginning of January. After a rocky start, he seems to be doing pretty good although I have noticed some differences in his personality. Prior to the surgery, if you just looked at him or spoke to him, he would start purring. Now, I have to kind of "coax" a purr out of him. He has now started to groom himself for long periods of time and it's especially irritating at 3 o'clock in the morning! He not only grooms himself but also the other cats in the house whether they want it or not. I can't find any skin rashes or other irritations. I think it may be a behavioural issue. The grooming seems to be concentrated more on his mane and remaining front limb. Does anyone have any thoughts about this?
critters
Founding Member

Re: Excessive Grooming

Post by critters »

:whale: Hmm. A month is still early on, and it doesn't seem to be causing any problems. I don't think I'd worry about it yet. My Ace washes everybody in the universe all the time, and I consider it a GOOD thing, with all the wonkers I have!! :D
Harrison

Re: Excessive Grooming

Post by Harrison »

Hi, your dear cat is just trying to take care of every living creature around it. There aren’t any precise study about post trauma behavior of this type but it’s a good reaction any way. As long as he doesn’t start attacking you or strangers around, you should just be proud. Sooner than you expect purrs will overwhelm you again.