Adopting my first disabled cat.

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
hannah6466

Adopting my first disabled cat.

Post by hannah6466 »

Hi there! I am adopting my first disabled cat, he's called Milo and his missing one of his front legs. He's a lovely little guy and I want to give him the best life possible, but I've never had a cat like this, so any advice on how to help care for him would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if he'll still use scratching posts with only his one paw, etc. Thank you!
critters
Founding Member

Re: Adopting my first disabled cat.

Post by critters »

:slant: I consider tripods disfigured, not disabled, because they can do anything anybody else can do. They are noisy when they run, but that's all. Whether they still scratch on stuff seems to be personal preference for mine; Tripod scratched a lot, but Lefty and Aries don't. If there's a deformity involved, rather than a birth or surgical amputation, you may need to keep an eye on claws; claws can pop up in weird places and will probably need to be whacked regularly.