Stump Protection

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
MULLYGIRL

Stump Protection

Post by MULLYGIRL »

We have a wonderful tripawd golden retriever and her front stump needs some sort of protective "bootie" that would keep it from infection because she uses it for balance when getting up, etc. Please help anyone.
CarolC

Re: Stump Protection

Post by CarolC »

Could you perhaps post a picture of her?
:thankyou:
MULLYGIRL

Post by MULLYGIRL »

If I could figure out how to attach a picture on this forum I would. If you have a reason for asking for a picture, please e-mail me at; stjohntom@yahoo.com. Thanks.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

It's just because it's going to help when it comes to homemade ideas or available products or companies to check. :pardon: Hard to recommend without knowing where the amputation is, it could be anywhere from toes to shoulder. There are some instructions on uploading here, if you'd like. :)

http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/view ... =15&t=6764

:banner:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Does it break open or get sores? If not, it may not need protection. My Lefty uses his little stump for stuff and it doesn't break down at all. If it breaks down, vets would probably recommend further amputation to take it off at the hip or shoulder.

:whale: