Running with a Tripod

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
Oaktree89

Running with a Tripod

Post by Oaktree89 »

We are looking to adopt a dog. We want a dog we can run with (up to 15 miles) and we were originally looking at Aussies and other herding dogs. We went to an adoption event and asked if there were any runners in the group and were pointed to a belgian shepherd/golden retriever mix that is super high energy, but only has three legs. His rear left leg was amputated after he tried to jump a chain-link fence and tore his Achilles when it got stuck. We really like the personality of the dog and he moves and runs very well. My worry is that he will not be suited for running long-distances as it may put extra wear on his joints. Is it reasonable for us to expect a tripod to run (or hike) with us for long distances? We would work him up slowly, but I just don't know if he will every make it to the distance we were hoping for in a running companion. Do any of you have super energetic tripods that will run long distances? Or do you mostly quit after a mile or so? The current foster says she walks him 3 miles and he doesn't tire, but I'm not sure I believe her. Any input on this would be helpful! We ran him in the parking lot and he has a great pace and stays by my side, so I think it would be natural to have him be a running partner, I just don't want to put unnecessary stress on his already-stressed legs if it would be too much for him or cause him pain...
CarolC

Re: Running with a Tripod

Post by CarolC »

A hind leg ampution is easier for the dog than a foreleg amputation, and they can still run like the wind, but as I think you were implying, his balance will be different, the use of his hip will be different, and I would assume the one hind leg will get additional cumulative wear and tear, and it may be that he is also weightshifting forward somewhat. But I am not a vet or a canine sports medicine expert. I'd like to suggest you register on the Tripawds forum and see if anyone there has actual experience with this. 15 miles sounds like a long distance. If he does anything serious to that remaining hind leg you may have a dog in a wheelchair. I could actually believe he is walking 3 miles, and he may need exercise for his sanity, but 15 miles still sounds like a lot.

http://tripawds.com/forums/

:banner:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I've known people to put a tripod dog onto wheels to preempt further damage. As a rule I wouldn't think this necessary, but 15 miles is a lot... If it were me, I'd take him then worry about the details.
Oaktree89

Post by Oaktree89 »

Update: The foster had him before the surgery and would walk him 3 miles and jog with him then. She hasn't really taken him out as much since the surgery as he was recovering and her schedule changed and she doesn't have the time anymore. (I say foster, but it is really an owner surrender). So he hasn't been tested on the one leg as much as I originally thought.

We have tentatively declined to take him since we would be forced to leave him home for some activities we are planning to do with our dog (multi-mile hikes/runs). However, we both really liked him and may re-assess our expectations of dog ownership in order to get him.
Oaktree89

Post by Oaktree89 »

CarolC wrote: I'd like to suggest you register on the Tripawds forum and see if anyone there has actual experience with this.

http://tripawds.com/forums/

:banner:
Thanks! I actually tried to post there first, but the site kept crashing when I tried to register. I will try again.