Awaiting amputation/potty problems

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
WassleCat

Awaiting amputation/potty problems

Post by WassleCat »

I recently found a kitten in the road that I thought was very young but is actually about 5 months old and just very malnourished. I took her to the vet and they said her back left leg would need to be amputated (the bone is sticking out of her skin) but she needs to gain 2lbs before they can operate. She is in a lot of pain and when she has to use the bathroom she just goes wherever she is. I've tried to get her to use a litter box and even go outside since that is what she was used to. I read up on how to make diy kitten diapers but with her leg in so much pain I can't possible imagine trying to put her in one. She wants to cuddle so badly but i need a solution to the pottying. I've had to wash and throw away so much stuff with cat doodoo on it already. Any solutions or advice on the pottying, diapers, or how to ease her pain would be greatly appreciated.
CarolC

Re: Awaiting amputation/potty problems

Post by CarolC »

The ASPCA guideline for spay/neuter is the kitten has to weigh at least 2 lbs total. How much do they want your kitten to weigh before they will do surgery? Perhaps since amputation is a more serious surgery, the kitten needs to be larger because the anesthesia is longer? I do not know. It seems like there must be a risk of infection with the open wound, not to mention the pain. Did they worm the kitten? Worming might improve the potty clean up and help her grow faster. Kitten waste tends to be smellier than the waste of adult cats. :blush: I have heard with declawing, they only recommend Yesterday's News cat litter, nothing clay or clumping, the same might be true for an open wound but again I don't know. Can she be cuddled on your lap if you lay a puppy pad on your lap? Have you tried some kind of heating pad (well covered) for her inside a crate to comfort her?
Tabby_kitten 003.JPG
critters
Founding Member

Re: Awaiting amputation/potty problems

Post by critters »

Poor little baby!!! That open wound would scare me to death, and I'd want the leg off yesterday. I doubt the baby will do much moving until it's gone. Personally, I'd wash and reuse bedding until the baby's recovered, then dump it if necessary; not washing would be SO expensive!

:thankyou: for taking care of this baby!