Hi! New here with a 3 legged pup

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
Jenfinn

Hi! New here with a 3 legged pup

Post by Jenfinn »

HI everyone.
I am a Basset Hound Breeder in Canada. A week ago we had a little puppy born with only 3 legs. She is missing her right front leg. Mom did not bite it off as I assist in the births and was right there. I actually took her out of the sac.
Anyway, along with her leg, she was also born with a hernia that needed to be stitched up as she had a gaping hole in her belly.
Despite all this, she is growing well, has doubled her birthweight and doing good. She moves around, fights for a nipple, and despite being smaller than her siblings, doesn't let them push her off a nipple!
So, I am now starting to feel optimistic and looking at what our options are for her. She doesn't have a leg stump, so I am not sure if she would be a candidate for a prosthetic when she is older because Bassets are front heavy, I worry about what kind of damage will happen to that front leg.
So that is my introduction. Looking forward to meeting you all and getting advice and ideas from you all :)
Apparently the photos on my iPad are too big. I'll upload a photo of her later when I get to a computer
critters
Founding Member

Re: Hi! New here with a 3 legged pup

Post by critters »

:whale: If she doesn't have a stump, a prosthesis would be hard. I think I've heard of surgical implantation of attachments, like what people get in their mouths to attach false teeth to. I'm not sure about all that, or how problematic it would be. A front cart would be a possibility, as would a quad (4-wheeled) cart, but they aren't as problem-free as the normal rear variety. Most tripods do very well without such things, but, yeah, a Basset, with the long back, short legs, and heavier weight might be more at risk.