Not walking after amputation

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
Jpuppy

Not walking after amputation

Post by Jpuppy »

Has anyone had a amputation done and their dog not been able to walk (hop.) A little Hs first. She had two spinal embolisms almost a year ago. Her second left her one rear leg stiff and unable to bend. We waited 9 months and finally opted to amputate as a last ditch effort to give her a normal life dispite not having bladder or bowl function. She got along prior to surgery great but would drag her leg when she ran and couldn't go for walks or anything other than in the house due to the knuckling. Post surgery she hops like a rabbit everywhere. It's been 6 weeks. She hops on any surface on her butt. Grass, gravel, carpet, tile. Doesn't matter. It's not a "scared" thing. Her orthopedic doctors don't know why she's doing it. Seeing her PT next week but he's also stumped. Her spinal x ray was clean prior to surgery and she was tested for any ortho issues when her staples came out. We have walked behind her holding her tail very lightly like we have done in the pool (her tail is dead....and yes I know this isn't what should be done, it was a what if question.) and she can then hop normally like every other tripod. Which leaves everyone stumped. I know we shouldn't still need her sling this far in, but we do. She can do sit stands on her ball for PT so it doesn't appear to be strength.
Any ideas???
critters
Founding Member

Re: Not walking after amputation

Post by critters »

Hmm. Strange! That's why I don't amputate my little boy's largely-useless arm, because he's also significantly brain damaged. I wonder if using wheels for a while would help your baby? Some people use them with tripods routinely, trying to save their hips, backs, or whatever. Maybe your baby used the leg for balance or something.

Yes, a lot of people tail-walk. One of mine had a dead tail, and it dropped off in the vet's hand as he was looking at it, so I'd have a care about that! :shock: :mrgreen:

"I know we shouldn't still need her sling this far in" I don't know about that. Everybody, including critters, is different, so there's so magic cut off point. Everybody heals differently, and your baby has a lot more going on than typical tripods.
Jpuppy

Post by Jpuppy »

She does have a wheel chair we use for walks. We have a tri level so couldn't use it inside. Due to her size (he's 95 pounds) it's hard watching her try to get up and pull her self from room to room.
I agree everyone heals at their own rate but really expected her to be more mobile not less after having this done. :(
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

From what I've been told, it is OK to hold the tail if you hold it at the very root of the tail, they do it at my dog's PT. This is going to sound absolutely ridiculous and I'd be a little surprised if it helps, but it is harmless and easy to try. Can you try putting a clip on the tail as an experiment and see if it makes any difference. Something that would not be too tight like a plastic butterfly ponytail clip, to mimic holding her by the root of the tail. How very, very upsetting. I am sure she can get her mobility back since she had it before, but this is the last thing you would have expected.