Deciding to amputate dog's back leg

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
Lynnd

Deciding to amputate dog's back leg

Post by Lynnd »

My 11 year-old Bedlington Terrier was recently diagnosed with a soft tissue sarcoma. $1,000 worth of CT scans and chest x-rays show it has not spread. Vets recommend a partial amputation near knee of his left leg. Some friends and family say to just let him be (no traeatment), but my son wants the surgery if it will extend his life by 2-4 years. Without any treatment, he will likely die within 6-12 months.

What to do? He was running like a puppy at the park yesterday, so he is a young 11-year old, and not in much pain, yet.

The vets all say that dogs take to the surgery really well, it will relieve his pain and extend his life, but they don't know how many years it will give him. In dog years, 2-4 years would be another 14-28 years. I think most humans would lose a leg to get another 14-28 years, and I think he would like a few more years of treats and park strolls...

It will cost $3,200. They want to amputate this Friday. What should I do?

Desperately torn...
critters
Founding Member

Re: Deciding to amputate dog's back leg

Post by critters »

:whale: I have NO experience with that kind of cancer, but I have/had a bunch of tripods, and they usually do very well. I would think the adjustment would be a little longer, and possibly a bit harder, for an oldster, but I expect it would be done reasonably.