Front-End Tripod: Additional Amputation: scapula or no?

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
dactyl

Front-End Tripod: Additional Amputation: scapula or no?

Post by dactyl »

I have a 1.5 year old 50 lb male pit bull who had his front right leg amputated mid-radius when he was approximately ten weeks old and not in my care. It is high up - he only has about 1/2 inch to an inch of the radius left. The stump healed initially with a bursa, but now opens, oozes, and is no longer appropriate. I've taken him to three vet consults (on at NC State) and all three agree an additional amputation is needed. Some of the vets believe it is best to take the scapula while others suggest that the scapula should remain. Does anyone on this board have an opinion or experience either way?

Thank you <3
CarolC

Re: Front-End Tripod: Additional Amputation: scapula or no?

Post by CarolC »

I have an amputee dog but she does not have this problem, so I have no opinion on scapula or no scapula.

I would suggest you see what is available on dogleggs. They will make to order.

https://www.dogleggs.com/dogleggs-for-f ... g-amputee/

You might also post on tripawds if you haven't already.

https://tripawds.com/forums/

:banner:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: My surgical tripod kept her scapula. Why is the site breaking down? Does he beat on it, lie on it, or something?
dactyl

Post by dactyl »

The county shelter did the amputation – and they left about an inch of bone with no muscle cover on the end. There was a bursa that protected it for about the first year but then that fluid bursa popped. He’ll hit it when he lays down or trips. If it is here it will believe – but even without direct contact there is frequent clear fluid. *headshake*
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Ah. I've seldom heard of leaving a "nub" after an amputation. How about a revision that's in between--take the nub off and pad the bone end with muscle, skin, or whatever? Tripod's arm was just flat at her shoulder, but she still had her scapula. Once it was healed, it never broke down for the rest of her life.