Missing bottom of rear leg...

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
Skippy54114

Missing bottom of rear leg...

Post by Skippy54114 »

Hi all,

Nice conversations on this board. Many are very inspiring.

I am an 8-week old Cocker Spaniel Surrender/Rescue who is missing my lower rear leg. The humane society is recommending amputation and is willing to pay for it. My foster dad is having reservations about making this decision. Perhaps some of you can give him some words of wisdom to make the decision easier.

I lost my lower leg at birth. The umbilical cord was wrapped around it and my mother tried to chew it loose and consequently chewed my leg off right below the knee. I knows what the missing leg is for and I try to use it but it is just not there. I uses the nub to scratch and sort of climb. I even goes through the motions of using it when he runs. It does not cause me any pain I am aware of.

I would like to try a prosthesis but everything my foster dad has seen so far suggests I am not a viable candidate because of the lack below the knee. Perhaps taking off the leg is the best option but dad is not convinced of that yet. The vet said that leaving the remainder of the leg will cause me problems in the future but I am not old enough to know.

Dad has a soft spot in his heart for animals. He wants to make the best decision he can for the best results for my future. Dad doesn't know anyone else who has dealt with this so he has nobody to ask except the vet.

I hope some of you out there who have gone through this know how my dad feels. Please help him with any advice you have to help him make the right decision for him and me.

Skippy
critters
Founding Member

Re: Missing bottom of rear leg...

Post by critters »

:welcomeblue: My original tripod had her arm knocked off at the mid-humerus, but my 2nd tripod, Lefty, was in a similar situation as Skippy. I left his arm alone, knowing that it could be completely amputated at any time if it caused trouble, but it never did. He died last year of kidney failure and kept his "clobber club" to the end. He, too, used it for a few things. My 3rd tripod, Baby Boy/Ares, has his arm but is a functional tripod. He, too, uses it as a kickstand on occasion, but I'd have no qualms about taking it off should it need to go. In addition, I had a little girl thought to need her arm amputated because of nerve damage, but I refused and the nerve healed. Personally, I'd leave it alone until proven otherwise. A prosthetic (which none of mine have ever used, but we've done custom splints) could be tried if the owner wished.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Skippy,

Your situation sounds so much like another pup on this forum, and his dad had the same question and was going to research prosthetics. You might want to get your foster dad to look at this other puppy's leg, and possibly post a question in that thread to see what they found out. The other foster dad's name is PawlessinMKE.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=20262

:banner:
Skippy54114

Post by Skippy54114 »

Hi, Thanks,

Yup, Dad read that one especially the considerations for prosthetic attachment at the bottom. That's the part that made him sad. All my fellow dogs in that thread have more bone below their ankle than I do. My leg leaves off right at the joint.

Skippy
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Skippy54114,

If you receive a notice of this post, it's because there is another puppy in the same situation who could use your advice. Perhaps you could explain what you decided and how it worked out? :) The other puppy is here:

viewtopic.php?p=113782#p113782