1 day post back leg amputated

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
NicolaJ

1 day post back leg amputated

Post by NicolaJ »

Hello. I'm new to the site but would desperately need some advice. My four year old cat had his back leg amputated yesterday. He is obviously in alot of pain and he is trying to move but he seems like he has no idea who to do it. At the moment he is just rolling and rolling around or moving backwards with his front paws. He is almost (literally) climbing the wall. Is this normal? I try to hold him upright but this freaks him out and panics him. I also think he may need to go to the toilet. Please help. I'm so devastated by all of this, its heartbreaking to watch him x
CarolC

Re: 1 day post back leg amputated

Post by CarolC »

Hi NicolaJ,

I have no experience with this personally, but if you read these topics, you will see your cat is not the only one.

New amputee cat walking backwards

Flip Flopping on 3 legs

Kizzy cat having problems 2 weeks post-op

Re: Amputation: Need Help!!! New cat amputee

Cats: amputee help

Hope this helps!

:collar: :welcome: :catbed:
BendyMom
mutant kitty expert

Post by BendyMom »

I've had many cats undergo single and double amputations. What kind of pain medication was he given for his recovery? He definitely needs it. Usually my vets would give a few days of buprinex (narcotic) and onsior (anti-inflammatory that is easy on the kidneys so safer for cats). With some surgeries we have even done a Fentanyl patch, which is a patch they wear which lasts for 48 hours. Gabapentin is also used for pain, although it can take two hours to kick in. It is a safe drug even at the higher doses, so it is used a lot. It also calms them.
Normally cats adapt to their missing limb within a few days and are hopping around. If you haven't already, I would call your vet ASAP, or even see if there is an emergency clinic you could go to for pain control. poor fellah.
http://www.alittletlc.com

Bendy Kitty
forever in my heart
always missed
i am not the same without you.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: What caused the amputation? If he had been a functional tripod before, I'd first think it was the drugs. If he was previously able-bodied (such as an amputation from an accident) I'd first think he may be in the early stages of adjustment (also possibly drugs). I agree that pain meds are a good thing so early after surgery.