hind leg amputation.

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
grupoapad

hind leg amputation.

Post by grupoapad »

Hi,
I am working here in Mexico (yes on the other side of Rio Bravo) with a animal rescue group. At the moment we are fostering a beautiful girl, a hound mix, who had to have her hindleg amputated. The amputation is just under the "knee" (right side). Ambar recovered great and is a riot, flying allover the house, chasing my other dogs and birds. This likely is one of the reasons the stump is not completely healed yet. In a recent article in BARK (that's where I got this website from) they are speaking from protective socks for the stump. Has anyone a picture of that or a description of how to make one? Forget about consultations etc. Our group gets very little donations and any money that comes in is being banked so we can finally build a shelter. All cost for animals we rescue now are for the rescuer and to be honest I spend my last money of this month this morning on her and another rescue doggie, and the month still has a week on it..... LOL.
So if any one can give me suggestions. The biggest problem I see is that the leg gets so much "wider" directly above the amputation.
Ideas??? Thank you all in advance.
critters
Founding Member

Re: hind leg amputation.

Post by critters »

Hmm. Having done the amputation that way, prosthetic use may be possible in the future; however, that's exactly why most (American) vets take the limb at the hip or shoulder. Anyway, have you tried kids' socks, preferably thick cushy ones? If the stump can heal, it may develop a callous and be fine. LOL Your baby must be feeling FINE!!!
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Oscar is not an amputee, but because he is paralyzed and drags his legs, he developes sores. I use a gauze followed by the stretchy Vet. bandage (the stuff that comes in lots of colors). You need to change it often to make sure moisture doesn't get in it. The good thing is you can wrap up high to make sure it is secure. Let us know how things are going. Oh....I've heard of people covering gauze with duct tape too. I have NO idea if it works...I just know Ive seen people post that they have used it.
Hugs,
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
rufakin

Post by rufakin »

Hello. I am now going through the crisis of having my lab mix's rear leg removed as a result of an accident. I have talked to a few vets on the topic now, and it seems that it would be best to have the entire leg removed...probably for the very reason. I'm sorry that I don't have any better advice. I am only now about to become the dad of an amputee. Good luck with your baby.
grupoapad

Post by grupoapad »

rufakin wrote:Hello. I am now going through the crisis of having my lab mix's rear leg removed as a result of an accident. I have talked to a few vets on the topic now, and it seems that it would be best to have the entire leg removed...probably for the very reason. I'm sorry that I don't have any better advice. I am only now about to become the dad of an amputee. Good luck with your baby.
Thank you, thanks to you I found this site back!!
Update on our doggie: we finally decided to have the full leg removed. She indeed was developing sores in spite of a very fine leather sock we made, had great difficulty walking, was cranky. Now she is a happy "lightning" fast girl that does not know the word rest. A lot of people don't realize she has only 3 legs until you point it out.