Reo's amputation

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
bossmare

Re: Reo's amputation

Post by bossmare »

If you get the dog clipper things it has a guard on it so you don't clip to short and hit the quick.
Amy

Re: Reo's amputation

Post by Amy »

How is Reo doing?
bossmare

Doing Great!

Post by bossmare »

Reo is doing great. He's really picked up lately and was running all over the front yard today barking at the neighbor's dog that was out. You couldn't tell he has only 3 legs. He really pulls hard at the leash on walks, he just wants to go, go, go! It's amazing.

He does still lick at his stump but it's healed up really well. Sometimes he'll yelp and look at his stump, we think it's phantom pain. He has some trouble getting in the cat door coming into the house but other than that, he's fine.
Amy

Re: Doing Great!

Post by Amy »

I'm so happy to hear Reo is doing well. They are amazing animals and adapt so well.
bossmare

Post by bossmare »

Yes they do, to bad people aren't like that. Live for today!!! You're alive, be happy!
tessa

Post by tessa »

hey bossmare...so good to hear reo is doing well.
just FYI...xena had the phantom pains too. it was quite distressing for a bit but she hasn't had one in over a week now. i think they're gone for good. *crossing fingers*.
bossmare

Post by bossmare »

My bosses wife, who lost a leg to a blood clot, says she still gets phantom pains after two years and wishes someone would go scratch her foot. LOL I imagine a human would be more in tune with the phantom pain than a dog, but you never know. Reo uses his "invisible" leg to dig still. He looks down at it like "WTF?" when it doesn't do what he wants it to. Like fish a toy out from under the dresser.