LOOKING FOR ADVICE

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
cespos

LOOKING FOR ADVICE

Post by cespos »

Hello,

We just adopted a handicapped puppy today. I am no stranger to handicaps, I care for my Mother, Father and Husband. All who have become handicapped in the past 4 years.

We got the puppy for my husband. So here is the issue. The puppy was born with a deformity. Its front leg is deformed. He walks like he has a flat tire, and the paw looks like a lobster claw.

I am looking for information on where I might get help getting him fitted for a prostesis of some sort so he can walk better. I know he is probably too young to be fitted yet, but no better time than the present to find out all the details and how it has to be done so I am ready when it is time.

We live way up north in California near the Oregon boarder so help in what most people call Northern California is a 6 hour drive for us. Sacramento is 4 hour drive. Anything in Southern Oregon would be good though.

I am just hoping to find a way to help this puppy have as good a life as it can.

Thanks for helping.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: LOOKING FOR ADVICE

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Wonderful for you! And better for puppers! What a wonderful thing you are doing. Please go up to the products link at top of page on left and scroll down. critters has a lot of ideas, as does CarolC, who will be along shortly...
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

"Lobster claw" sounds like he may have syndactyly, which I know of in humans and kitties (my Lefty is one, too), but I've never heard of in puppers. It's genetic; let me get some kitty info for you. See "syndactyly or split foot" here. http://www.messybeast.com/freak-limbs.htm ; somewhere in that site is another page of it, too.

As for prosthetics, your best bet would be to go with somebody local if you can; call all the local orthotists, prosthetists, nursing homes, rehab places, etc. and see if anybody is willing to help. If all else fails, there are a number of places that will deal through the mail. Tripod links coming up in a minute...

http://www.handicappedpets.com/pandalinks.htm
http://www.handicappedpets.com/links/amputee.htm

Some of the links are broken, but you get an idea.
cespos

Post by cespos »

Thank you for the information.. I will definately take a look at the links.

He is just what my husband needs, and is so cute.

Ces
cespos

Post by cespos »

I looked at the links you posted. And the kitty one was most interesting even though it is not quite what is up with the puppy.

Perhaps a better description is needed. So here goes.

If you think of your hand as the puppies paw, remove the thumb and little finger.. now you have three fingers...
adhere the pointer finger and the middle finger....now you have two toes....the split between the toes goes almost all the way up to the shoulder... and the leg is much shorter then the other three... where the two toes adhered together kind of look like the large part of a lobster claw and the other toe the smaller part.

I can actually split the large toe and regular toe apart with a finger... there is skin and hair between them ...

The two toes that are adhered together don't seem to have any muscle or joint, I would use the word paralized but that isnt it, they are just the opposite. They move with my fingers as if there is nothing there holding them together.

When he walks I can see that the annomoly goes up to the shoulder. There is little muscle build up on that leg, but in compensation he built up alot of extra muscle on the other side to be able to hold up his weight.

He is loves to play and doesnt seem to be bothered at all by the issue. He just loves being a puppy. :)

Hope that helps describe it a bit better.
tessa

Post by tessa »

hi cespos...
sounds like the puppy is carrying all of its weight on its good leg already. if, for a moment, you consider removing the bad leg...you won't need a prosthesis. come down to the "amputation, i have questions" thread and have a read. there are several of us down there with three-legged dogs (all missing front legs) and you'll see how agile they have all become and what the issues around amputation are.
cheers,
tessa
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Yes, tripods do VERY well, but, personally, I wouldn't take the limb without a reason, such as it constantly being torn up, infections, etc. Even a misshapen arm can come in handy sometimes, such as grooming, playing, or a "clobber club." Lefty has kept his, weird as it is. For Tripod, however, it wasn't an option.
cespos

Post by cespos »

Thank you for the information. It is all quite good indeed.

The puppy is named Baxter and is a 11 week old Daschund. The breeder we got him from breeds for show dogs, and gave him to us on the condition we have him neutered (since both his parents are champions). As soon as I get some pictures I will post them somewhere and you will be able to see the deformity a bit better.

I am not sure that amputation is going to be necessary but we will wait until the vet tells us if it is or not.

I am just so happy for my husband to find a pet that he can relate to. At 44 to be disabled after working all your life it is hard on him, and this will be a good form of therapy for him.

I will keep you posted on how things progress with Baxter. Thank you all for the help.
Amy

Post by Amy »

Best of luck to you and Baxter. Dogs are amazing and I hope you will find the answers you need to help Baxter.
tessa

Post by tessa »

yeah...no arguments there, critter. i was just remarking that if a prosthesis is required for mobility with four legs...well...it's not for three. it's an interesting quandry. my personal motto is: research research research!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

So very true!!! :D
cespos

Post by cespos »

Baxter had his vet visit today.

Due to the way he walks on the deformed paw, both the vet and the surgeon believe at some point in the near future the leg should be removed. They said it was mainly due to the fact that he folds the paw underneath and walks on the top of it rather than the pads. Otherwise he is a happy, healthy little guy. :)

Due to his age they are going to wait a little while. Letting him get through vacinations and get some growth on.

I am fine with this, just want what is best for this little guy.
tessa

Post by tessa »

cespos...the pup will be fine with three legs and won't need any sort of walking aid at all. please visit xena's blog and see how well she's getting around...and also visit milo's blog and you'll see the same.

what kind of dog is baxter?
cespos

Post by cespos »

Tessa;

Baxter is a Mini Daschund..Which is kind of why I think we might opt for the prosthesis. Daschunds are known to have back trouble; due to their long backs and jumping. The prosthesis should help prevent some of this as without it he will be required to jump with every step. I will find out more from the vet as we get closer to time for the surgery.
tessa

Post by tessa »

oh gosh, yes. amputation seems all wrong for a daschund.
good luck at the vet's. let us know how it turns out.