I feel like an ogre for asking, but how much will it cost?

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.
suzcain

I feel like an ogre for asking, but how much will it cost?

Post by suzcain »

My vet checked out my limping dog Sweet Pea today, and she said he may have toe cancer. She put him on antibiotics in the hopes that it's just an infection, but I need to prepare for the worst case scenario. The thing is, I feel embarrassed to even ask my vet about how much it will cost to get his toe amputated because I just had a lot of work done to my house (she comes to my house). But because I had all the work done, I have a very real limit on what I can afford right now. I feel like a horrible person even thinking about putting a price on my Sweet Pea's life. :( Maybe if I can get an idea of what to expect, I can figure out a way to get it together. Thanks to anyone who answers!!!
tessa

Re: I feel like an ogre for asking, but how much will it cos

Post by tessa »

xena had her entire arm removed. she also had three days of emergency treatment. i think that the operation plus all the sundries was in the order of a thousand australian dollars (that's about $750US), but the whole ordeal at the time was $2,700AU because of the emergency care leading up to the diagnosis of cancer. then there's the chemo. that will ring in around $3,500AU by the time it's finished.

i'm just so grateful that money wasn't an issue for us. i can't imagine being faced with the decisions i have been...if money was going to be a problem.

i do hope that things turn out well for you and sweet pea.
here's to hoping that the antibiotics do the trick.

cheers,
tessa
Amy

Post by Amy »

First off I am sorry to hear about Sweet Pea. My Tyler recently had his leg amputated due to a tumor and it cost around 1800.00, but that was entire leg being amputated from his shoulder down. If it is only Sweet Pea's toe, I would expect it to be much less. In Tyler's case it was not an emergency and we had time to save up the amount and juggle things around. We had about a month between the time we decided this what we had to do and had the amputation done. I would not be afraid to ask the vet how much it would cost at all and ask how much time you have before it becomes necessary to do the surgery. Everyone lives on a budget and these are things we do not expect to have to deal with. the vet knows that and should be able to give you an idea of what you are looking at. My vet gave me a ballpark figure right away so I could prepare. I'm sure your vet would be able to give you an estimate so you have a general idea. Best of luck to you and sweet pea.
suzcain

Post by suzcain »

Thanks so much Amy & Tessa! Sweet Pea lucked out this time... The antibiotics are working. :) But your answers are still helpful. I think it's time to start a doggy savings account for "just in case" and you've given me an idea of the minimum I need to get together.
Amy

Post by Amy »

I'm so happy for you and Sweet Pea. :)
tessa

Post by tessa »

that's such great news for you and sweat pea, i'm so happy for you!

my best advice is this:
get pet insurance.

even if i had paid for insurance over xena's entire life...it would not have come to the dollar figure that the treatment has so far....and we're not done yet.
i won't ever make that mistake again.

best wishes...
tessa
Erk

Post by Erk »

suzcain wrote:
Thanks so much Amy & Tessa! Sweet Pea lucked out this time... The antibiotics are working. :)
Oh man, that's wonderful news!!!

I lost Toffee in April, 5 months after her front-left leg was amputated due to osteosarcoma (bone cancer). The total bill (X-rays,biopsy, amputation and after care) was about $1600. It gave her 5 extra happy months. Worth every penny and more! :-)

EDIT: My post count is back to zero?! I guess I haven't posted since the new software was installed. :-)
tessa

Post by tessa »

erk...did toffee recieve chemo therapy as well? i know it's incredibly expensive and not everyone can afford it. five months is still a blessing, but i'm (of course) hoping for longer than that with xena.
selfish me.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Erk wrote: My post count is back to zero?! I guess I haven't posted since the new software was installed. :-)
It's a technical thing where they have to run a program to connect your username to your old posts. However, if you registered on this new board under a different username than you used when posting on the old board, the program will not connect your posts to your name. (There is a possibility of installing a mod that will allow admin to manually connect posts to names, but I think they have other priorities to sort out first.) The program to connect names is run periodically, I don't think it has been run for a while. You can still register under your former username if you want. Just ask to have your current registration deleted and then you can reregister. Deleting your registration takes only a few seconds, and reregistering will take you about a minute, so don't hesitate to ask. :)
Erk

Post by Erk »

tessa wrote:erk...did toffee recieve chemo therapy as well? i know it's incredibly expensive and not everyone can afford it. five months is still a blessing, but i'm (of course) hoping for longer than that with xena.
selfish me.
No, it would have been about $3600. She was 10-years-old, so she was already at her life-expectancy. Our vet had 2 other similar cases where the dogs were doing fine 8 months and 18 months after amputation without chemo. She was fairly sure that the cancer hadn't spead, even though it often has by the time it is discovered.

Like I said, we had an extra 5 months with her. She was like a puppy again! :-) When she got sick again, it came on fast. I miss her a lot, but I'm comforted knowing that we gave her a great life--lots of love, walks, and camping trips, etc)

http://home.ptd.net/~ebauman/Toffee23.jpg

Erk

Post by Erk »

CarolC wrote:
Erk wrote: My post count is back to zero?! I guess I haven't posted since the new software was installed. :-)
It's a technical thing where they have to run a program to connect your username to your old posts. However, if you registered on this new board under a different username than you used when posting on the old board, the program will not connect your posts to your name. (There is a possibility of installing a mod that will allow admin to manually connect posts to names, but I think they have other priorities to sort out first.) The program to connect names is run periodically, I don't think it has been run for a while. You can still register under your former username if you want. Just ask to have your current registration deleted and then you can reregister. Deleting your registration takes only a few seconds, and reregistering will take you about a minute, so don't hesitate to ask. :)

heh, no biggie. I saw the post count at "1" and thought, "Waaaaait a minute!" :-)